The University of Louisville abides by these guiding principles and practices for volunteer abroad activities. The International Volunteer Programs Association (IVPA) is a nonprofit accrediting body dedicated to promoting awareness and access to quality volunteer aboard programs. Take a moment to look at the Volunteer International’s Standards concerning volunteering principles and practices: http://volunteerinternational.org/why-standards-2/. You should research your proposed program to ensure that it follows these principles and practices before proceeding.
UofL pre-approved volunteer providers:
Atlantis Project: https://www.atlantis-project.org/ pre-med opportunities
ISA Volunteer abroad: https://www.studiesabroad.com/experience/service-learning
If you are interested in volunteering abroad and do not see the company above please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the answers to the following so we can work with you to obtain permission and academic credit:
Name of Company:
Company Website Link:
Proposed Dates of Travel:
- How many full-time staff members does the company employ?
- How many of these employees will you come in contact with during the program?
- What are the roles of the full-time staff at the program where you will be volunteering?
- Are the full-time employees part of this organization or do they work for a different organization?
- During a typical day, how often will you be with a staff member of the program?
- Will there be a bilingual staff member on-site and available to you in person at all times?