Managing International Exchanges
The International Center is happy to support faculty in the establishment, management and renewal of international exchange agreements (IEAs). An international exchange agreement is a significant commitment on the part of faculty, the International Center, and the University of Louisville, as is detailed in the following table:
|Task||International Center Staff||Faculty/ Department Sponsor|
|Monitor exchange balances||X||X|
|Program promotion & outbound student recruitment||X|
|Logistical coordination of outbound students (grade transfer, course registration, etc.)
and inbound students (out‐of‐state tuition waiver requests, etc.)
|Advise outbound students on academics abroad||X|
|Inbound & outbound student application processing||X|
|Welcome inbound students to UofL academic department||X|
|General orientations for inbound & outbound students||X|
In addition to the responsibilities summarized above, please consider the following points when establishing or renewing student exchanges with partner institutions:
- Student exchanges must be kept in balance. Faculty will need to actively recruit UofL students.
- Once an exchange reaches an imbalance of two semester students, UofL cannot accept exchange students from a partner institution until outbound students are sent. UofL must thus temporarily suspend inbound student exchange with our partner.
- Please note that it is awkward and unpleasant to restrict new exchange partners, especially after only two semesters of student exchange. The International Center thus strongly encourages faculty to not sign an international exchange agreement if it is likely that it will be difficult to maintain the balance. It is easier to begin a relationship without student exchange than to restrict partners after two semesters.
- To be in compliance with Federal guidelines for exchange visas, keeping accurate records is critical. Thus, all outbound and incoming exchange students must be reported to the International Center.
- For immigration reasons, bringing faculty and scholars to UofL, including graduate research students, is entirely independent of student exchange. Graduate research students and scholars, visiting for the purpose of research, are served by International Students and Scholars Services at the International Center.
- Inbound students on student exchanges are required to be enrolled full‐time (Minimum 12 credit hours) in classroom based instruction (no audits).
Please note that outbound Faculty and graduate research students, under the terms of International Agreements, should still be directed to the International Center for processing.