VP Student Affairs - Assessment, Research and Planning
The Student Affairs Graduate Intern assists with the daily operations and special projects within a progressive Student Affairs division. Additionally, the Intern may assist specifically within one of the functional departments, such as Career Services, Assessment, Parent Programming, Housing, Counseling, Student Activities, Recreational Sports, or the Dean of Students Office. The Intern may serve on committees, work directly with students or student groups, and coordinate activities as needed by the Division of Student Affairs.
The Intern reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs through the Director of Assessment & Planning and Assistant to the VP and Chief of Staff.
General Learning Objectives
¨ Develop supervisory expectations while refining your style of leadership on a student affairs team.
¨ Complete a comprehensive research study in one of the areas within Student Affairs at the University of Louisville.
¨ Remain abreast of emerging issues affecting higher education.
¨ Develop methods to improve conflict resolution skills and administrative communication skills, including oral and written presentation and professional image.
¨ Understand the history and rationale for a progressive and developmental student affairs division.
¨ Gain knowledge in the design and operation of a student affairs division at a major research university.
¨ Gain expertise in at least one presentation area; learn and apply effective programming skills.
¨ Gain understanding of the ethical dilemmas and the decision-making process within student affairs.
A. Assessment (70%)
1) Assist with implementation and oversight of the Student Affairs Assessment Plan.
2) Make recommendations on use of assessment results for planning based on research.
3) Serve on University of Louisville campus-wide Assessment Committee
B. Student Affairs Research and Administration (30%)
1) Participate in departmental committee work and projects, providing leadership when appropriate.
2) Attend weekly VPSA senior staff meetings, providing updates on divisional assessment activities.
3) Regularly review and critique journal articles pertinent to higher education and student affairs.
4) Submit at least one newsletter article for publication.
5) Assist with the representation of the University of Louisville Student Affairs team locally, regionally, and nationally through participation in committees, presentations, and participation in professional development activities. Seek opportunities to present at professional association conferences.
6) Meet regularly with the Vice President for Student Affairs, maintaining a list of items discussed and to be discussed during these meetings.
7) Complete other projects and responsibilities as assigned.
Ms. Becky Clark, Director, Assessment & Planning; firstname.lastname@example.org; Mr. Frank Mianzo, Asst. to the VP, email@example.com; Dr. Tom Jackson, VP for Student Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org (502) 852-6933.