Greek Life - Position Listing
The Graduate Assistantship for Greek Life is a part time 10 month academic year appointment in the Student Activities Office. The Graduate Assistant supervised by the Assistant Director of Student Activities /Greek Life and assists in providing support to the university’s national Greek letter fraternities and sororities.
- Develop and implement programmatic initiative related to Greek Life, including but not limited to such areas as risk management issues (alcohol, hazing, drugs), scholarship, officer training, chapter development, membership recruitment, succession planning, and diversity.
- Serve as a contact person for fraternity and sorority leaders to answer questions concerning policies and procedures, bulk mailing, awards, and applications..
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of appropriate periodic/special operations reports and surveys. Assist supervisor in the calculation of scholarship statistics.
- Develop and implement assessment outcomes for Greek-related events and programs. Conduct a research project related to Greek Life and departmental goals.
- Coordinate the Greek education series each semester..
- Attend meetings and advise specific RSO’s assigned by supervisor. (Attend Panhellenic, IFC and NPHC Meetings)
- Assist the supervisor with the coordination of fraternity and sorority recruitment weeks, Greek Week and other Greek-wide sponsored events.
- Promote new student involvement. Conduct outreach activities that promote Greek Life at fairs, displays, and appointments with students. Coordinate, publish, and update the Master Greek Calendar .Maintain and update the Greek Life website
- Serve as a consultant for Greek member to implement leadership training and organizational development activities such as retreats, workshops, member education and leadership transition. Develop training and development resources for student leaders and advisers of Recognized Student Organizations..
- Serve as an active member of the Student Activities Dept, attend meetings, and contribute to departmental goals and objectives. Provide assistance to other members of the staff as requested and assume additional responsibilities within the scope of the position as required. Provide support for special events and functions that occur. Participate in staff development programs for the department and Division of Student Affairs to enhance personal and professional development. Participate in departmental and divisional planning and evaluation processes. Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director. Provide information to the Director as requested. Conduct other administrative duties for the office as appropriate.
- Background in program planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Ability to work with a diverse student population
- Attention to detail and an enjoyment of evaluation and research
- Strong organization, communication, and leadership skills.
- Ability to serve as a role model for undergraduate students and alumni volunteers.
- Competence in technology; proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic, and outgoing
- Possess and have demonstrated past leadership experience
- Understanding of the value of out-of–class involvement .
- Membership in a Greek organization is preferred.
- Must have flexible work hours; some evening and weekend work required. (Wednesday afternoons and evenings and Tuesday nights are Council meetings).
- Full time admission to and enrollment in a graduate program at the University of Louisville. (Preferably College Student Personnel or Higher Education programs).
- Must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA throughout their term of appointment. Failure to do so can result in the loss of their position and future financial remuneration.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Stipend of $1200 a month for 10 months.
- Full time graduate in-state tuition remission
- Health care benefits/insurance.
- Professional development opportunities at workshops and conferences may be available.
August 1 – May 31
All submissions for this assistantship should be made electronically and include a current resume, letter of interest, and three professional references. Reference list must include address, title, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses (if available) for all references. Applicants should include any student organization leadership positions from their undergraduate experience in their resume`. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
For more information contact:
Director of Student Activities
Student Activities Center, Suite W310
University of Louisville
Louisville, Kentucky 40292
Phone: (502) 852-8329
Facsimile: (502) 852-7332
The University of Louisville is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer