Adult Learners Nomination Form
NOMINATIONS SOUGHT FOR OUTSTANDING ADULT LEARNERS, FACULTY AND STAFF
Do you know an adult student who has made great strides toward getting an education and improving their life? Do you know a faculty/staff member who goes the extra mile to help adult students succeed?
If so, help them attain the recognition they deserve. The Student Activities Department is now taking nominations for outstanding adult students and faculty members.
In 1994, the Kentuckiana Metroversity Council began recognizing the accomplishments of adult students and the faculty and staff members who help serve them. Barbara King, a former employee from the University of Louisville, was on the committee that initiated this award. She worked diligently on the committee in honoring these students from 1994 until her retirement in 2008. Three years ago Barbara King passed away, and it is in her memory that we continue her service to bestow this award on our University of Louisville students, faculty and staff.
Nominations for both awards are due by 5 p.m. on March 8, 2013. Submit nominations to Julie Onnembo in the Student Activities Office OR on-line using the nomination form at the bottom of this page. All nominees will receive an application to submit for final selection. Deadline for completed application is 5pm March 18, 2013.
For more information please call (502) 852 - 0317.
The Presentation for the awards will be on Thursday April 10 at Indiana University Southeast.
Outstanding Adult Learner Award
Criteria for Selection:
Anyone may nominate themselves or an outstanding undergraduate and/or graduate student over the age of 23 who has successfully demonstrated one or more of the following criteria:
- Has visibly improved his/her personal life or that of others as a result of the learning experience.
- Has maintained family, civic, or employment responsibilities at a level of excellence while concurrently pursuing his/her educational goals.
- Has demonstrated innovative approaches in meeting his/her educational goals.
- Has overcome difficult circumstances in order to pursue adult learning experiences.
- Currently enrolled for at least 6 credit hours.
- Undergraduate student minimum GPA 3.0. Completed minimum of 15 credit hours at U of L.
- Graduate student minimum GPA 3.25. Completed minimum of 9 credit hours at U of L.
Outstanding Faculty/Staff for Adult Students Award
Criteria for Selection:
- Has an understanding of the returning student’s problems.
- Recognizes the differences between the adult learner and the other students.
- Accommodates the students with flexible office hours and advising hours.
- Recognizes how life experiences of the returning adult can add to classroom teaching.
- Makes reasonable allowances for differences between the adult learner and other students.
- Supports students outside the classroom.
NOMINATIONS DUE BY 5 PM ON March 18, 2013
TO NOMINATE AN INDIVIDUAL - COMPLETE AND SUBMIT THIS ON-LINE FORM