Regulations for Use of University Facilities
1. Reservations for space in the Student Activities Center and the Red Barn may be made through the Student Activities Department at 852-6691, Monday through Friday, excluding University Holidays. Reservations will be taken up to six months in advance. Reservations should be made at least seventy-two hours (four working days) in advance for all Meeting Rooms and the Atrium (located on the first floor of the SAC, outside of the bookstore). Reservations can be made on the online form at http://louisville.edu/studentactivities .
Reservations should be made at least twenty-one working days in advance for the Red Barn, Floyd Theater, West Plaza, Cafeteria, and Multipurpose Rooms unless otherwise noted. Student Activities will take reservations past the above times only in special cases or emergencies as approved by the Assistant Director for Student Activities Facilities.
2. The individual or group listed as reserving the space is responsible for any and all damages to the Student Activities Center caused by their members or guests.
3. Nothing may be attached to the walls, ceilings, or floors of the Student Activities Center without prior written permission from the Assistant Director for Student Activities Facilities.
4. Reservations are not transferable, nor may an individual or group turn over a reserved facility for use by another individual or group.
5. Individuals or groups are to use the reserved space only. If an individual or group finds that the space is not adequate, they should contact the Manager on Duty who will try to accommodate their needs.
6. Furnishings are not to be removed from any rooms without prior written permission from the Assistant Director for Student Activities Facilities or the Manager on Duty. If furnishings are removed or changed around without permission, a fee may be assessed to the group/department responsible. This includes tables, chairs, podiums, plants, couches, etc.
7. Individuals or groups must follow all Fire Marshal Orders and University Regulations, including occupancy limits, access to fire exits, and room setups. Pets and the use of open flames are prohibited at any time in the facilities. Those individuals or groups not following these orders may have their event shut down immediately and may also face future sanctions concerning usage of facilities in the Student Activities Center, the Red Barn, or any facilities/areas connected with the Student Activities Center. It is the responsibility of the requesting individual or group to be aware of all Fire Marshal Orders and University Regulations. The Student Activities Center will set up rooms as approved by the Fire Marshal. Requesting individuals or groups are required to check with the Manager on Duty prior to rearranging any room setup. If in doubt about their compliance with any portion of this section, the individual or group should contact Student Activities or the Manager on Duty. Service animals are allowed at all times.
8. Individuals or groups must follow all plans for security and crowd control as required and approved by Student Activities. Failure to follow those plans may result in the event being canceled or shut down.
9. Extended or alternative hours other than posted building hours for reserved space must be requested in writing to the Assistant Director for Student Activities Facilities at least twenty-one working days in advance of the event. If approved, the time designated is the time at which the Student Activities Center will be closed and the doors locked. Therefore, events must end early enough so that all persons will be out of the building by the designated closing time. In addition, the individual or group will be responsible for any charges for having the building open earlier or later, such as fees for the Manager on Duty or Security.
10. Individuals, groups, and University departments are encouraged to notify Student Activities of cancellations as early as possible so that the space may be used by others. Individuals and groups are required to notify Student Activities of any cancellations at least 48 hours in advance. Reservations that are not canceled result in unnecessary work and prevent other people from using the space. The individual, group, or University department may be prohibited from reserving space in the Student Activities Center or Red Barn for a period of six months, may result in cancellation of all current reservations, or other sanctions if continually abused.
11. Individuals or groups desiring to use public facilities in the Student Activities Center not under the normal reservation list, such as the Atrium, should make a detailed, written request to the Assistant Director for Student Activities Facilities at least fifteen working days prior to the event. The written request should include a complete description of the event including schedule, setup, anticipated crowd, and purpose. The individual or group reserving the facility will be responsible for any and all charges associated with the event. It should be understood that these areas are primarily public areas and that permission to use them for a meeting or event will be granted on a limited basis.
12. Any deviations from the sections in this manual must be approved by the Assistant Director for Student Activities Facilities.
13. To keep facilities from being over-utilized by certain individuals or groups, RSO's and University Departments or Units may not reserve the Red Barn, Floyd Theater, or Multipurpose Room more than once per month or eight times per year for events other than meetings. Affiliated Organizations and Other Sponsored Groups are limited to once per month or four times per year. To keep information tables from being over-utilized by an RSO or University Department, only one reservation table per lobby area per day will be accepted.
14. Deposits may be required for certain events. Anytime a deposit is required, a full refund will be made if the event is canceled at least five working days in advance.
15. Groups using the Floyd Theater or any other facility to show films must abide by all copyright laws. The group must have public performance rights to show films. These usage fees are considerably more expensive than renting the film at a local video rental establishment.
16. Security and Crowd Control workers must wear proper identification when working the event.
17. Student Activities has the right to cancel meeting reservations in the Floyd Theater for groups wanting to use the venue for workshops, lectures or film presentations. Student Activities will attempt to find the displaced group another venue, but is no obligation to provide one.
18. No sales may take place in the Student Activities Center or Red Barn without the prior consent of the Assistant Director for Student Activities Facilities. See Section 5.04 for details.
19. No "For-Profit" (i.e. credit card companies, ticket sales, phone cards, cell phone and pager companies, etc.) groups may set up in the Student Activities Center or Red Barn without approval from the Assistant Director for Student Activities Facilities. Any co-sponsorship should be approved by the Assistant Director for Student Activities Facilities two weeks prior to the event. See Section 5.04 for details.