Come to the family-friendly Homecoming Parade on Oct. 13. For optimal viewing of one of UofL's longest running traditions, you can go to Grawemeyer Hall or anywhere between 4th and Cardinal to 3rd and Eastern Parkway. Be sure to bring lawn chairs and snacks to enhance your experience!
The University of Louisville Alumni Association invites you to join in the celebration of Homecoming Week by participating in the Homecoming Parade. You can participate as an individual or group, as a float or special talent, please complete the 2017 Parade Entry Form or email email@example.com with questions.
The family-friendly parade starts at Cardinal Boulevard and 4th Street intersection by Cardinal Towne. It follows 3rd Street South until its conclusion at the J.B. Speed School of Engineering off Eastern Pkwy. The route is 0.8 miles total. Check-in for the parade is from 4:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. for external (non-University) groups, and check-in for internal, University group is from 5:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.. You must be checked in AND all members of your entry must be in place no later than 5:30 p.m.
Entries will be judged for creatively incorporating the Cardinal, the opposing team’s mascot (Eagles), and/or any other relevant university traditions. Mini or large floats are encouraged, in addition to vehicle, biking, walking, golf cart, or marching entries. Cheers, chants, musical performances, costumes, and dance routines may be performed, but groups should stay moving and cannot stop to perform routines. Parade winners will be recognized after the parade with a special trophy.
- Maximum allowed length of total entry: 40 feet (including tow vehicle)
- Maximum allowed width of total entry: 10 feet
- Maximum allowed height of total entry: 13 feet (from street to top of entry)
- Maximum number of people allowed per entry: 50 (exceptions granted for marching bands)
- No tractor trailers are allowed.
- Groups must have a sign or banner that identifies your group during the parade.
- All entries must travel the entire length of the parade (0.8 miles).
- Towed entries must have a rigid hitch and safety chains.
- All motorized units must have a fire extinguisher with current inspection or sticker.
- All parade vehicles (except those entered by car dealerships) must be street licensed.
- No wheelies or stunting will be permitted.
- Student organizations can compete with any Homecoming Week pairings given by the Student Activities Board and Office of Student Involvement, if applicable.
- Must have entry manager or other selected representative to check-in parade entry between 3:30-5:00 p.m. on the day of the parade. It is recommended (not required) that you bring candy to pass out during the parade.
2016 Homecoming Parade Award Winners:
- MOST OUTSTANDING COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION: Louisville Metro Animal Services
- MOST OUTSTANDING CAMPUS ORGANIZATION: UofL Sustainability Council
Date & Location
The route runs from 4th and Cardinal to 3rd and Eastern Parkway.
Best viewing will be at Grawemeyer Hall.