Basic Death & Homicide Investigation
40 Hour Training Course / 4.0 CEUs / Tuition: $695.00 / KLEC Approved
The investigation of death is one of the most important responsibilities a law enforcement agency can undertake. This 40-hour course will prepare the student to properly investigate all death cases. The focus will be on homicide investigation and students will be work investigative cases as part of participative and interactive small groups (teams).
The areas specifically covered in this course of instruction will include the following topical areas: the police role in the investigation of natural and accidental death cases; the proper response of uniform officers; control and protection of the crime scene; DNA evidence; suicide investigation; working with the Medical Examiner; examination of the body; the time of death window; blunt force trauma; sharp force trauma; gunshot wounds; asphyxia deaths; autoerotic deaths; crime scene analysis; forensics and physical evidence; case preparation and courtroom testimony.
Course Topics and Areas of Study:
- The Investigations of Natural and Accidental Death Cases
- Investigative Approach to Death Cases
- Suicide investigation
- Specific Duties of the First Responding Officer
- Working With the Medical Examiner and Examination of the Body
- Establishing the "Time of Death Window"
- Blunt Force Trauma
- Sharp Force Trauma
- Gunshot Wounds
- Recognizing and Understanding Asphyxia
- Homicide Protocol - The Pyramid Approach to Investigation
- Utilizing Law Enforcement Tools
- Autoerotic Death Cases
- Case Studies and Analysis
- Small Group (Team) Work Projects
- Case Trial Preparation and the Detective in Court
Who Should Attend:
Enrollment is limited to law enforcement officers (uniform or detective), investigators and other authorized officials responsible for investigating the deaths of human beings.
Upcoming Training and Lodging:
If this course is not currently scheduled, it can be brought to your region by a co-hosting agency or through a contract. Contact Theresa Newton for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit the Register for Courses link in the toolbar or by clicking here.