SPHIS Home » Gray Street Farmers Market » Special Events
Holiday Bazaar - Dec. 3
The University of Louisville invites you to our one-day only Farmers' Market Holiday Bazaar
Dec. 3, 2015
2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
The Red Barn -- located on Balknap Campus next to the University Club
This one-day event features the Belknap and Gray Street Farmers Market vendors coming together in one location for holiday shopping and local style! There will be food (breads, holiday hams and pork products, chicken, lamb, eggs, sausages, jams, jellies, pies, cookies, ice cream); clothing; items made from recycled coffee bags; jewelry; wind chimes; ornaments; soaps, lotions and non-toxic household cleaners; and much more!
- Anne Scott Crafts – coffee bags into purses, totes, table runners, etc.
- Bread & Breakfast – homemade breads and cinnamon rolls
- Emily and Travis Ross’s New-Farm – pork products: holiday hams (5 to 8 lbs.), sausage, bratwurst, bacon, pork chops, shoulder/picnic roasts, etc.
- Gadabout Gallery – handcrafted sterling silver and copper jewelry, Local Love Pillows, and ornaments
- Granny’s Delights – canned pickles, salsa, jams, jellies (in jars) and homemade breads
- Green Farm – sweet dumplings, pancakes, macaroni, and green tea
- Lowe Creek Farm – apples, apple butter and wood, woven market baskets
- Paradise Tea – tea
- Purl’s Pecans – pecan clusters and fudge
- Schlaegel’s Acres – wood art items, corn hole, ornaments, soaps, home-made jams and Jellies, etc.
- Swallow Rail Farm – lamb, chicken, and eggs
- Unique Wind Chimes & Birds by Bruce – wind chimes, coasters, wooden crafts, crunchies, diaper covers, etc.
- Use Good Scents – toxic-free deodorant, lotions, hand sanitizers, cleaning spray, made from natural ingredients including therapeutic grade essential oils.
- Summer Shades Soap – soaps, scrubs, salve, dog soap, lotions, lip balms, laundry butter & soap pouches
- Flour Power – whole grain baked goods, breads, pies, cookies, bread and home churned ice cream
- The New Blak – black dresses and t-shirts, etc.
We are planning to offer more sampling at the market in 2016 and we have scheduled three cooking demonstrations this year on June 11 and Aug. 27. The demos will be presented from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. by chef and health coach, Mat Shalenko.
June 11 Recipe - June Market Salad
Take 20 for Wellness
UofL’s Get Healthy Now program invites employees and customers to carve out 20 minutes to participate in their “Take 20” sessions at the market.
- May 14 - Mini Boot Camp! 12:30 – 12:50 p.m.
- May 21 – Play! – 12:30 – 12:50 p.m.
- June 11 – Zumba Fitness – 12:30 – 12:50 p.m.
- July 16 – Healthy Eating Around the Globe – 11:00 – 11:20 a.m.
During the 2013 season, the GSFM hosted a series of 20-minute presentations in collaboration with local experts. We addressed several themes with the overall goal for participants to feel more confident shopping, eating, growing, and preparing food from the farmers market. We hope you enjoy (and learn something) from the videos posted below!
|6/6/13||Brian Barnes,Organizer for UofL's Eco-Reps program||Environmental benefits of buying local||Video|
|6/13/13||Justin Mog, Assistant to the Provost for Sustainability Initiatives, UofL||Re-localizing Your Foodshed on the Path to Sustainability||Video|
|6/20/13||Andrea Sinclair, Program Coordinator (Bioethics and Medical Humanities); GSFM governance committee member||Meet Your Vendors||Video|
|6/27/13||Amber Barnes, RD, LD Wellness Dietitian UofL Hospital||Fun with Fruits (and Veggies)||Video|
|7/11/13||Jim Whaley, Chef||Slow Food Movement in Louisville||Video|
|7/18/13||Amber Barnes, RD, LD Wellness Dietitian UofL Hospital||Cooking demo||Video|
|7/25/13||Joe Franzen, FoodWorks||Farmers market as classroom||Video|
|8/1/13||Diana C. Pantalos, MS, RD, LD, Senior Nutritionist, UofL Physicians - Pediatrics||FAT in food: How BAD is that?!||Video|
|8/8/13||Amanda Fuller||Lots of Food project: Transforming vacant lots into urban agriculture||Video|
|8/15/13||Stephen Bartlett, Director, Sustainable Agriculture of Louisville||Amazing Maize: The people's sacred seed||Video|
|8/22/13||Justin Mog||Urban Homesteading in Louisville||Video|
|8/29/13||Stephen Lewis, Horticulture Agent, Jefferson County Cooperative Extension||Preparing the fall garden||Video|
|9/5/13||Ron Smith, Owner, The Root Cellar & The Root Mobile||The Root Mobile: An oasis in the food desert||Video|
|9/12/13||Jessica Pendergrass, Founder, Freelance Writer, Urban Sacred Garden||How to Prepare Farmers Market Foods for Great Flavor||Video|
|9/26/13||Karen Newton, Director, Health Promotion Office, UofL Campus Health Services & the Health Promotion Nutrition Navigators||Quick, delicious and easy ways to move toward plant-based meals (with cooking demo)||Video|
|10/3/13||Amber Barnes, RD, LD Wellness Dietitian UofL Hospital||Cooking demonstration||Video|
|10/10/13||Joshua Orr (Root Cellar)|
Composting and sustainability
|10/17/13||Amanda Fuller||Growing "strange things" in the garden|
(show & tell specimens - flax, stevia, ginger, loofahs... and more!)
|10/24/13||Nancy Kuppersmith, MS, RD, Family and Geriatric Medicine, UofL||Intersection of sustainability and nutrition||Video|
20/20 Talks is a weekly series of 20-minute presentations that we are hosting in collaboration with local experts. Over 20 weeks, we will cover several themes with the overall goal for market attendees to feel more confident shopping, eating, growing, and preparing food from the farmers market.