SPHIS Home » Directory » Doug Lorenz, PhD
Doug Lorenz, PhD
|Bioinformatics and Biostatistics|
Room No. 134, 485 E. Gray St.
Louisville, KY 40202
PhD (2011), Applied and Industrial Mathematics, University of Louisville
MSPH (2002), Biostatistics-Decision Science, University of Louisville
MA (2001), Mathematics, University of Louisville
BS (1999), Mathematics, English Minor, University of Louisville
I joined the Department of Bioinformatics and Biostatistics in 2003, as a statistician with the Statistical Consulting Center. I collaborated with over one hundred investigators within and outside the University of Louisville and published numerous collaborative papers. In Fall of 2011, I joined the faculty of the Department of Bioinformatics and Biostatistics as an assistant professor. Currently, I collaborate with Susan Harkema, PhD, Rehabilitation Research Director of the Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center, Owsley B. Frazier Chair in Neurological Rehabilitation, and Professor in the Department of Neurological Surgery. I also collaborate with Mary Clyde Pierce, MD of Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago in research predicting child abuse in the pediatric emergency setting.
My primary research interest is in survival analysis and in particular multi-state models, an important generalization of survival data and special case of multivariate survival data. I also conduct research in clustered data analysis and the problem of informative cluster size. In particular, I have interest in nonparametric methods for clustered data and the development of clustered data analogues of classical procedures from i.i.d. theory. I have a growing interest in Bioinformatics, and in particular the analysis of data from next generation sequencing (NGS).
PHST 501/OBIO 501 – Introduction to Biostatistics
PHST 602 – Biostatistics-Decision Science Seminar Series
PHST 683 – Survival Analysis
PHST 762 – Advanced Statistical Inference
PHST 783 – Advanced Survival Analysis
Professional Memberships and Certifications
I am an Accredited Statistician of the American Statistical Association, PStat®
Pierce MC (PI). Clinical Decision Rules to Discriminate Bruising Caused by Physical Child Abuse. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. 1R01HD060997-01A2. 4/2011 through 4/2016. Role: Co-investigator.
Harkema SJ (PI). Development of neural recovery rehab & research centers. Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation. RFA7-20-06. Role: Biostatistician.
Behrman AL (PI). A New Measure of Neurological and Behavioral Recovery after SCI. Craig H. Nielsen Foundation. Role: Biostatistical Consultant.
Newton TL (PI). Intimate partner violence and inflammatory processes. National Insititute on Aging, National Institutes of Health: R21 AG0249002-02. Role: Biostatistical consultant.
Ruble LA (PI). Outcomes of Teacher Training on Autism. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service. PAR-03-078. Role: Co-investigator.
Pfieffer MP (PI). A Telehealth Intervention to Improve Symptom Management for Patients with Head and Neck Cancer. National Institutes of Health. RFA-CA-07-013. Role: Biostatistician.
1. Lorenz DJ, Datta S. Comparing waiting times in a multi-stage model: A log-rank approach. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference. DOI: 10.1016/j.jspi.2012.04.003.
2. Hymel KP,Wilson DF, Boos SC, Pullin DA, Homa K, Lorenz DJ, Herman BE, Graf JM, Isaac R,Narang SK, Armijo-Garcia V. Derivation of a clinical prediction rule for pediatric abusive head trauma. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. In Press.
3. Lorenz DJ, Datta S, Harkema SJ. Marginal association measures for clustered data. Statistics in Medicine. 30 Nov. 2011; 30(27). DOI: 10.1002/sim.4368.
4. Lorenz DJ, Datta S, Harkema SJ. Longitudinal patterns of functional recovery in patients with incomplete spinal cord injury receiving activity-based rehabilitation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. Sep. 2012; 93(9): 1541-1552.
5. Datta S, Lorenz DJ, Harkema SJ. A dynamic longitudinal evaluation of the utility of the Berg Balance Scale in patients with motor incomplete spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. Sep. 2012; 93(9): 1565-1573.
6. Forrest GF, Lorenz DJ, Hutchinson K, Van Hiel L, Basso DM, Datta S, Sisto SA, Harkema SJ. Ambulation and balance outcomes measure different aspects of recovery in individuals with chronic incomplete spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. Sep. 2012; 93(9): 1553-1564.
7. Behrman AL, Ardolino E, VanHiel L, Kern M, Arkinson D, Lorenz D, Harkema S. Assessment of functional improvement without compensation reduces variability of outcome measures after human spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. Sep. 2012; 93(9): 1518-1529.
8. Harkema SJ, Schmidt-Read M, Lorenz D, Edgerton VR, Behrman A. Balance and ambulation improvements in individuals with chronic incomplete spinal cord injury using locomotor training-based rehabilitation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. Sep. 2012; 93(9): 1508-1517.
9. Harkema SJ, Schmidt-Read M, Lorenz D, Edgerton VR, Behrman A. Balance and ambulation improvements in individuals with chronic incomplete spinal cord injury using locomotor training-based rehabilitation. Response to Letter to the Editor. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012 May; 93(5):919-21.
10. Sisto SA, Lorenz D, Hutchinson K,Wenzel L, Harkema S, Krassioukov A. Cardiovascular status of individuals with incomplete spinal cord injury from 7 Neurorecovery Network rehabilitation centers. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. Sep. 2012; 93(9): 1578-1587.
11. Newton TL, Fernandez-Botran R, Miller JJ, Lorenz DJ, Burns VE, Fleming KN. Markers of Inflammation in Midlife Women with Intimate Partner Violence Histories. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011 Dec;20(12):1871-80.
12. Tate SB, Blackwell L, Lorenz DJ, Steptoe MM, Culligan PJ. Randomized Trial of Fascia Lata and Polypropylene Mesh for Abdominal Sacrocolpopexy: 5-Year Follow-up. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2010 Aug 27.
13. Jackson JM, Fowler JF, Callen, JP, Lorenz DJ. Mycophenolate Mofetil for the Treatment of Chronic Dermatitis: An Open-Label Study of 16 Patients. J Drugs Dermatol. 2010 Apr; 9(4): 356-62.
14. Condra CS, Parbhu D, Lorenz D, Herr SM. Charges and complications associated with the medical evaluation of febrile infants. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2010 Mar; 26(3): 186-91.
15. Alur AA, Rane MJ, Scheetz JP, Lorenz DJ, Gettleman R. Simulated Microbe Removal Around Finger Rings Using Different Hand Sanitation Methods. International Journal of Oral Science, 1(3): 138-44, 2009.
16. Pierce MC, Kaczor K, Aldridge S, O’Flynn J, Lorenz D. Bruising Characteristics Discriminate Physical Child Abuse From Accidental Trauma in Young Children. Pediatrics. 2010 Jan; 125(1):67-74. Epub 2009 Dec 7.
17. Padmanabhan P, Berkenbosch JW, Lorenz DJ, Pierce MC. Evaluation of Cerebral Oxygenation during Procedural Sedation in Children using Near Infrared Spectroscopy. Ann Emerg Med. Aug 2009; 54(2).
18. Datta S, Lorenz DJ, Morrison S, Ardolino E, Harkema SJ. A Multivariate Examination of Temporal Changes in Berg Balance Scale Items for Patients with ASIA Impairment Scale C and D Spinal Cord Injuries. Arch of Phys Med Rehabili. 2009 Jul; 90(7): 1208-17.
19. Fortu JM, Kim IK, Cooper A, Condra C, Lorenz DJ, Pierce MC. Psychiatric patients in the pediatric emergency department undergoing routine urine toxicology screens for medical clearance: results and use. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009 Jun; 25(6): 387-92.
20. Spiller H, Lorenz DJ. Trends in Volatile Substance Abuse. J Add Dis. 2009;28(2):164-70.
Honors and Awards
Graduate Dean’s Citation, University of Louisville, 2011, 2002
Hohman Fellowship, Department of Mathematics, University of Louisville, 2006
First Place, American Spinal Injury Association, Best Poster Award, 33rd Annual Scientific Meeting, for the poster "A Multivariate Examination of Temporal Change in Berg Balance Scale Variables for Patients with ASIA C AND D Spinal Cord Injuries" by S. Datta, D. Lorenz, M. Schmidt-Read, E. Ardolino, S. Morrison, and S.J. Harkema.
Many years ago, I played baseball for the University of Louisville (1995-1999), during which I was team captain, received the Red and Black Scholar Athlete Award, was the Ed Kallay Student Athlete of the Year, Conference USA Scholar Athlete of the Year, member of the Conference USA All-Conference team, and an Academic All-American (all in 1999).
Editorial Board Member
International Journal of Statistics and Probability
Statistics and Probability Letters
Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Department of Bioinformatics and Biostatistics, University of Louisville
Student grievance committee
Junior faculty hiring committee
System backup committee
School of Public Health and Information Science, University of Louisville
Student affairs advisory council
University of Louisville
Research! Louisville judge