Christopher M. Richards, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
201 Sackett Hall
Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, Ohio State University, 1998.
M.Sc. in mechanical engineering, University of Cincinnati, 1993.
B.Sc. in mechanical engineering, University of Cincinnati, 1992.
Original appointment as assistant professor - 2001.
Promoted to associate professor - 2007.
Portion of time committed to teaching - 55 percent.
Portion of time committed to research and scholarly activities - 35 percent.
Portion of time committed to institutional and professional service - 10 percent.
Summer 2003, 2004, NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA, NASA Faculty Fellow.
8/98-8/01, Caterpillar Inc., Peoria, IL, Senior Design Engineer.
1989-1991 (alternating quarters), Holset Engineering Co., Cincinnati, OH, co-op engineer.
1988-1989 (alternating quarters), Defiance SMC, Troy, MI, co-op engineer.
Church A/C chiller environmental noise issue, 2008.
Sunbeam Products, Inc., blender noise source identification, 2004.
Carnahan, J.J. and Richards, C.M., "A Modification to Filtered-X LMS Control for Airfoil Vibration and Flutter Suppression," Journal of Vibration and Control, 14, 831-848, 2008.
Richards, C.M. and Summers, T.W., "Transient Response Simulation of an Off-Road Motorcycle with Conventional and Multi-Cell Tire Inflation Mechanisms," Tire Science and Technology Journal, 35(2), 2007.
Zhang, J. and Richards, C.M., "Parameter Identification of Analytical And Experimental Rubber Isolators Represented by Maxwell Models," Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 21(7), 2814-2832, 2007.
Zhang, J. and Richards, C.M., "Dynamic Analysis and Parameter Identification of a Single Mass Elastomeric Isolation System Using a Maxwell-Voigt Model," ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 128(6), 713-721, 2006.
Summers, T.W., Richards, C.M. and Jarboe, N.E., "A Simplified Model for Predicting the Pneumatic Stiffness of Conventional and Multi-Cell Inflation Mechanisms for Off-Road Tires," Tire Science and Technology Journal, 33(3), 179-190, 2005.
Scientific and Professional Societies
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
Honors and Awards
- Honorable Mention Award for Excellence of Presentation and Excellence of Journal Article Content, The Tire Society, September 2003
- First place award, SAE poster contest, SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, Traverse City, MI, 1993
- Spencer Schenk Scholarship Award, University of Cincinnati, 1991 and 1992
- Church Scholarship, 1987 - 1992
Institutional and Professional Service
- Speed School Academic Technology Committee (Chair)
- University Instructional Academic Technology Sub-Committee.
Professional Development Activities
- Attended 24th Annual Meeting and Conference on Tire Science and Technology, Akron, OH, September 2005
- Attended 45th AIAA Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Palm Springs, CA, April 2004