Karen L. Frost, Ph.D.
Department of Bioengineering
110 Instructional Building B
Ph.D. in Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, 2004.
MBA in Business Administration, Duquesne University, 1997.
B.A. in English Writing/Communications (dual major), University of Pittsburgh, 1987.
Certificate, Clinical Research, Epidemiology, and Statistics Training Program, University of Louisville, 2008.
One (1) year service.
Original appointment as Assistant Professor - 2009.
2007–2009, Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY. Sr. Postdoctoral Fellow.
2004–2005, School of Nursing, Orthopedic Rehabilitation, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY. Postdoctoral Fellow.
2004, National Science Foundation Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship Program, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburg, PA. Postdoctoral Fellow.
1999-2004, Rehabilitation Science and Technology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburg, PA. National Institute for Disability and Rehabilitation Research Predoctoral Fellow.
Frost K, Bertocci G, “Retrospective review of adverse incidents involving passengers seated in wheeled mobility devices while traveling in large accessible transit vehicles”, Medical Engineering and Physics (In Press, April 2009; Online publication DOI information: 10.1016/j.medengphy.2009.01.004).
Jaggers JR, Swank AM, Frost KL, Lee CD, “The acute effects of dynamic and ballistic stretching on vertical jump height, force, and power”, J Strength Cond Res. 2008 Nov;22(6):1844-9.
Nyland J, Frost K, Quesada P, Angeli C, Swank A, Topp R, Malkani AL. “Self-reported chair-rise ability relates to stair-climbing readiness of total knee arthroplasty patients: A pilot study”, Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development 2007;44(5):751-60.
Jaggers JR, Simpson CD, Frost KL Quesada PM, Topp R, Swank AM, Nyland J, “Prehabilitation Before Knee Arthroplasty Increases Postsurgical Function: A Case Study”, J of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2007, Vol 21 (2): 632-634.
Ridner L, Topp RV, Frost KL, “Methodological Issues in Identifying Sexuality for Research” American Journal of Men’s Health, 2007 Vol 1(1): 87-90.
Frost KL, Bertocci GE, Wassinger CA, Munin MC, Burdett RG, Fitzgerald S, “Isometric Performance Following Total Hip Replacement and Rehabilitation” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 2006, 43(4): 435-444.
Frost KL, Topp RV, “Physical Activity Prescription for the Hypertensive Patient”, Nurse Pract, 2006, Vol 31(4): 29-37.
Topp RV, Frost KL, “Exercise for the Inactive Hypertensive Patient”, Ethnicity and Disease, 2006, Vol 16(S4): S27-S34.
Ridner L, Frost KL, LaJoie S, “Health Information And Risk Behaviors Among Gay, Lesbian And Bisexual College Students” Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 2006, Vol 18(8): 374-378.
Bertocci GE, Munin MC, Frost KL, Burdett RG, Wassinger CA, Fitzgerald S, “Isokinetic Performance Following Total Hip Replacement”, American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, January 2004, Vol 83, 1-9.
Scientific and Professional Societies
- Rehabilitation Engineering Society of North America
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American College of Rheumatology
- Assoc. of Rheum. Health Professionals
- Western Pennsylvania Arthritis Foundation (founding member)
Honors and Awards
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Science Foundation Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship Program, 2004
- Best Poster Award, Frontiers in Rehabilitation Research, 2002
- Arthritis Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2001
- Pre-doctoral Fellowship, National Institute on Disability Rehabilitation and Research, Research Training in Rehabilitation Sciences, 1999-2001
Institutional and Professional Service
- Faculty Advisor, ASHRAE Student Chapter (2000-present)
- Member of ME Curriculum Committee (2000-present)
- Member of Women and Minorities in Engineering Advisory Board (2000-present)
- Member of Speed School Assessment Committee (2004-present)
- Member of Speed School Diversity Committee (2004-present)
- Member of Speed School E-Days Committee (2004-present)
- Faculty Advisor, ASME Student Chapter (2001-2008)
Professional Development Activities
- International Society for Technology in Education Conference in San Diego, CA in February 2009
- Session monitor and attended workshops at ASEE Regional Conference in Louisville, KY in April 2007
- ASME Regional Student Conference at University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY in March 2004