Gina E. Bertocci, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor of Biongineering
J.B. Speed School of Engineering Endowed Chair in Biomechanics
204 Instructional Building B
Ph.D. in bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh, 1997.
M.Sc. in mechanical engineering, University of Pittsburgh, 1991.
B.Sc. in mechanical engineering, University of Pittsburgh, 1983.
Original appointment as associate professor (with tenure) - 2004.
Promoted to professor - 2009.
Portion of time committed to teaching- 30 percent.
Portion of time committed to research and scholarly activities - 60 percent.
Portion of time committed to institutional and professional service - 10 percent.
1994-2004, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. Associate professor (2002-2004),
assistant professor (1997-2002),
research associate (1994-1997).
1991-1994, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. Associate director of facilities engineering.
1987-1991, Westinghouse Electric Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA. Senior mechanical engineer.
1983-1987, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. Facilities engineer.
Decubitus Ulcer Prevention Garment System for Dogs, provisional patent application
no. 61142927, 2009.
Soft Tissue Assessment Device and System, international patent application no. WO 153706, 2008.
Soft Tissue Assessment Device and System, utility patent application no. 60/931,203, 2008.
Pennsylvania professional engineer PE #036305-E (1987-present).
Fuhrman, S., Karg, P. and Bertocci, G., "Characterization of Pediatric Wheelchair Kinematics and Wheelchair Tiedown and Occupant Restraint System Loading During Rear Impact," accepted in Medical Engineering and Physics, March 2009.
D’Souza, R. and Bertocci, G., "Development and Validation of a Computer Crash Simulation Model of an Occupied Adult Manual Wheelchair Subjected to a Frontal Impact," accepted in Medical Engineering and Physics, January 2009.
Frost, K. and Bertocci, G., "Retrospective Review of Adverse Incidents Involving Passengers Seated in Wheeled Mobility Devices While Traveling in Large Accessible Transit Vehicles," accepted in Medical Engineering and Physics, January 2009.
Knight, A., Bertocci, G. and Pierce, M.C., "Assessment of Head Injury Risk Associated With Feet-First Free Falls in 12-Month-Old Children Using an Anthropomorphic Test Device," Journal of Trauma, 66(4), 2009.
Fuhrman, S., Karg, P. and Bertocci, G., "Effect of Wheelchair Headrest Use During Rear Impact on Pediatric Head and Neck Injury Risk Outcomes," Accident Analysis and Prevention, 40(4), 2008.
Chadwick, D., Bertocci, G., Castillo, E., Frasier, L., Gunther, E., Hansen, K., Herman, B. and Krous, H., "The Annual Risk of Death From Short Falls of Young Children: Less Than One in a Million," Pediatrics, 121(6), 2008.
Pierce M.C. and Bertocci, G., "Injury Biomechanics and Child Abuse," Annual Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, 10, 2008.
Schneider, L., Hobson, D. and Bertocci, G., "Development of Voluntary Equipment Standards for Transportation Safety of Wheelchair Users," Assistive Technology, 20(4), 2008.
Scientific and Professional Societies
- Rehabilitation Engineering Society of North America (RESNA)
- American Society of Biomechanics
- International Association of Veterinary Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy
Honors and Awards
- Champions 4 Her, University of Louisville
- Distinguished Teaching Award - University of Pittsburgh, Rehab Science & Technology
- Bausch and Lomb Science Award
- Tau Beta Pi
Institutional and Professional Service
- Member, ANSI/RESNA Wheelchair Transportation Safety Standards Committee
- Member, ISO Wheelchair Transportation Safety Standards Committee
- Member editorial board, Assistive Technology Journal
- Associate editor, Assistive Technology Journal – Special Wheelchair Transportation Safety Issue
- Asociate editor, Medical Engr. & Physics Journal – Special Wheelchair Transportation Safety Issue
- Member, University Scholars Award Committee
- Executive committee member, Faculty and Staff for Human Rights, University of Louisville
Professional Development Activities
- Attended/presented, Rehabilitation Engineering Society of North America, 2004-2009
- Attended/presented, Helfer Child Abuse Conference, 2008
- Attended/presented, Int. Sym. Rehab. & Physical Therapy in Vet. Medicine, 2008
- Externally funded research in the areas of child abuse investigation, pediatric falls, wheelchair transportation safety and canine rehabilitation