- Convertible Tablet PC with an Active Digitizer Pen. The screen will rotate around and can be written on with a digitizer pen. Tablets with active displays typically respond better than those with only touch screens. The Speed School recommended tablet (Lenovo ThinkPad X230T Tablet PC) has an active display and uses a Wacom-style digitizer pen.
- Processor - Dual core (duo) processors basically have two CPU's on one chip. The Core Duo was Intel's first dual core processor; the Speed School recommended tablet has the newer Intel Core processor; the standard model has the i5 processor while the select model has the i7 processor.
- 320 GB Hard Drive – The minimum requirement is a 320 GB hard drive.
- 4 GB of RAM. Although tablet PCs need 1GB of RAM (Random Access Memory) to run Windows 7 Professional, the performance is very, very poor. Four GB of RAM is the required minimum.
- Wireless 5100 or 5300 - The university has 802.11n service throughout campus.
- Windows 7 Professional - The recommended tablet from GovConnection will come with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit operating system. If tablets are purchased elsewhere, make sure it can easily handle at least Windows 7 Professional.
- 3-year Warranty - The recommended tablet has a 3-year depot warranty. Be aware that the warranty on some tablets (particularly from a retail outlet) may be simply a one-year parts warranty. Although not required, we strongly recommend purchasing Accidental Damage Protection (Lenovo's ThinkPad Protection). You may also want to consider extending the warranty from three years to four years and add on theft protection (Computrace Lojack).
- Mouse with scrolling button, wired or wireless (needed for ENGR 150 graphics course)
- Carrying case or backpack
- USB flash drive for file storage
- DVD RW device
- Travel battery
- Backup digitizer pen
Last update: 04.26.2013