Frequently asked questions regarding Speed School's Tablet PC program.
- Can I use some of my scholarship or financial aid money to purchase the tablet?
- Unfortunately, scholarship or financial aid money is not allowed (federal regulation) to be disbursed to a student until right before the start of classes. If your aid package is in excess of your tuition and housing bill, you can take the extra and reimburse yourself. However, since this will not be available until later, you will not be able to delay purchase until you receive the excess.
- What software should I be buying?
- None. Any software that you buy at this point would be for personal
use. All Speed School students pay a $25 technology fee each semester.
Software will be available for download around July 1 and includes
Microsoft Office products along with engineering software you will be
- Where can I go to get additional tips on using my tablet?
- The Student Tablet User Group (STUG) is a student organization at the Speed School of Engineering dedicated to help students better use their tablets. Visit STUG for an uncensored student viewpoint.
- What should I do to setup my tablet PC before I arrive on campus?
- It is recommended to uninstall any trial software prior to the
installation of the Speed School software bundle. First, install the
university's virus protection. Go to iTech Xpress and under Downloads,
click Free, select Virus Protection, and download Symantec Endpoint
Protection (64-bit for those with the recommended tablet). We recommend
downloading this onto your home computer, saving it onto a flash drive
and copying it to your tablet pc. Then perform the installation. Once
the virus protection installation process is complete, you may then
download and install Microsoft Office (Office Enterprise 2007). Please
note that this installation can take considerable time.
It is not necessary to install the other software prior to your arrival on campus.
Last update: 03.26.2010