Cooperative Education Program
Cooperative education is an 80-year-old tradition at Speed School,
and a key requirement of the academic experience for Speed engineering students.
"Co-op" is an academic program integrating classroom learning with work experience in the student's field of study. The co-op student is paid an hourly wage, and receives academic credit for each semester of work.
For the student: the Co-op program provides students an opportunity to:
- Obtain hands-on engineering experience as part of their formal education.
For the employer: the Co-op program provides the following benefits:
- Access to a skilled, short-term cost-effective workforce.
- Opportunity to evaluate potential full-time employees.
- Reduced recruiting and training costs.
Wages earned by co-op students help defray college expenses. Students are generously classified temporary, hourly employees, and earn about $15-$16 an hour.
Examples of companies where Speed School students co-op:
The Cooperative Education Program in Speed School consists of three semesters of full-time work related to the students' engineering major. Upon completion of the co-op requirements, students have accumulated a full year of professional work experience.
Students alternate periods of classroom instruction and co-op as shown in the following schedule:
|BACCALAUREATE DEGREE||BACCALAUREATE DEGREE||BACCALAUREATE DEGREE||BACCALAUREATE DEGREE||MASTER'S DEGREE|
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2||YEAR 3||YEAR 4||YEAR 5|
|Academic Studies||Academic Studies||CO-OP #2||Academic Studies||Academic Studies|
|SPRING||Academic Studies||CO-OP #1||Academic Studies||Academic Studies||Academic Studies|
|SUMMER||Academic Studies||Academic Studies||CO-OP #3||Academic Studies|
Cooperative Education Sessions
- Spring 2013: January 7, 2013 - May 10, 2013
- Summer 2013: May 13, 2013 - August 23, 2013
- Fall 2013: August 26, 2013 - December 20, 2013
- Spring 2014: January 6, 2014 - May 9, 2014
- Summer 2014: May 12, 2014 - August 22, 2014
- Fall 2014: August 25, 2014 - December 19, 2014
Academic Disciplines: Bioengineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Engineering/Computer Science, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
Because of their academic training and real-world engineering experience, Speed School graduates are in demand by employers. Nearly one-third of Speed School graduates accept employment offers from their co-op employer!
Speed School's Cooperative Education Program helps employers meet their need for a highly-skilled, knowledgeable workforce. Co-op provides students exposure to the latest technology, team-based problem solving and flexibility in adapting to a continually changing global environment.
INTERESTED IN HIRING A SPEED SCHOOL CO-OP OR GRADUATE? Please contact Mark Schreck at (502) 852-1368.
Office of Career Development
Co-op Report Documents:
- Co-op Resume Format (Word DOCX)
- Report Guidelines (PDF)
- Co-op Report Writing Sample (PDF)
- Co-op Report Template (Word)
- Student Performance Appraisal (Excel with pulldown rating scale)
- Student Performance Appraisal (Excel, visible rating scale)
- Writing Center Form (PDF), IE Students
- Exit Interview Student Form (Word)