New student information
Welcome to U of L’s Spanish MA program!
Below are the immediate steps you’ll need to take as you prepare for the start of your graduate career. For answers to quick questions or to make an appointment for advising, contact Dr. Greg Hutcheson (Director of Graduate Studies in Spanish) at gshutch (@) louisville.edu.
For information of general interest (including on- and off-campus housing and financial support), visit the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies’ web page for new future students. Also immediately useful are the Graduate Student Orientation Handbook and the Graduate Student Life Handbook, both listed under Student Resources.
Setting up your accounts
In order to conduct university business, you’ll need to set up the following two accounts.
1) ULink The university utilizes an information network called ULink. ULink is a secure site that pulls key information and features found on many web pages and puts it in one central location. You'll use ULink for essential tasks such as registering for classes, checking your financial aid account, ordering transcripts, etc. If you haven't yet logged into ULink, go to ULink, click on "For First-time Users" (under Login Assistance), and access your account. If you have any difficulty logging in, contact the university Helpdesk at helpdesk (@) louisville.edu or call (502) 852-7997.
2) CardMail Once you’ve set up your ULink account, you'll be able to log into your university email account. Students at UofL use, an email system provided by Microsoft Outlook Live. GET INTO THE HABIT OF CHECKING YOUR CARDMAIL ACCOUNT DAILY! All official university, graduate school, and department announcements will be sent here.
Registering for classes
You'll find general information on registration at the Registrar's website. (Click on "Registration info" in horizontal menu for details on registration for fall semester classes.) Here below are specific instructions for Spanish MA students. BE SURE TO REGISTER FOR CLASSES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SINCE THEY OFTENTIMES FILL.
1) Select 1-3 classes from the list of fall graduate offerings. A few notes as you choose your classes:
- All new students are required to take SPAN 611 (Introduction to Hispanic Studies) within their first year of study.
- SPAN 524 (Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics) is strongly recommended for those students who have never taken a course in linguistics. It is a prerequisite for SPAN 624 (Studies in Hispanic Linguistics).
- 500-level classes enroll a mix of graduate and advanced undergraduate students; they generally meet twice a week. 600-level classes are graduate seminars restricted to graduate students; they generally meet once a week.
- A courseload of three classes constitutes full-time status. To remain in active status, you are required to take at least one graduate class per semester. (GTAs are required to maintain full-time status—that is, enroll in three graduate classes—during each semester of their appointment.)
2) Once you’ve selected your classes, send an email to Dr. Hutcheson at gshutch (@) louisville.edu requesting approval. In most cases, you will not need to set up a face-to-face appointment for advising.
3) Once Dr. Hutcheson has approved your selection, register for classes through ULink. Simply log on to ULink, select the Student Services tab (across the top), then "Add Classes" under Registration to register. You'll find instructions on each web page to assist you with the process.
NOTE THAT THE FIRST DAY OF CLASSES IN FALL 2016 IS MONDAY, AUGUST 22ND. Be sure to review the full academic calendar for 2016-2017 before the start of classes.
The university's Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) functions as an administrative, advising, and programming unit for all international students and scholars at the University of Louisville. The staff is trained to assist international students and scholars with any immigration, advising, or general issues related to their university as well as cultural experiences within the city of Louisville and the United States. See the ISSS's website for details.
August orientations for new students/GTAs
Graduate students beginning in fall 2016 are required to participate in a series of orientation activities (generally scheduled during the 2-3 weeks prior to the start of classes). Click here for a map of Belknap Campus.
ALL NEW GRADUATE STUDENTS
- TUESDAY, AUGUST 9th: New graduate student/GTA orientation (2 - 8 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the Swain Student Activities Center). Note that participation is strongly recommended for all new graduate students and mandatory for new Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs). Be sure to register at the graduate student orientation web page. (Scroll to the bottom of the page for the link to the registration form.)
- MONDAY, AUGUST 15th:
- (optional) Reception for new graduate students, hosted by the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, 3:30 - 5 p.m.in the Lutz Hall atrium. To RSVP, go to the registration site.
- (mandatory) Departmental orientation for new graduate students in Classical and Modern Languages (5 - 7 p.m. in Bingham Humanities Building 202). NOTE: THIS ORIENTATION IS MANDATORY FOR ALL STUDENTS WHO ARE NEW TO THE SPANISH MA PROGRAM.
- FIRST WEEK OF AUGUST OR SOONER: GTAs are required to attend a payroll orientation session organized by Human Resources. Here you'll have a chance to complete all the paperwork necessary for transition onto the university payroll. YOU MUST COMPLETE THIS ORIENTATION DURING THE FIRST WEEK OF AUGUST OR SOONER. Go to the Human Resources orientation web page to register.
- TUESDAY, AUGUST 9th (11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.): Spanish GTA lunch meeting and campus orientation. (Meeting in Bingham Humanities Building 202.) NOTE: Immediately following is the SIGS new graduate student/GTA orientation from 2 - 8 p.m. (See above.)
- TUESDAY, AUGUST 16th (8 a.m. - 1 p.m.) AND THURSDAY, AUGUST 18th (8 a.m. - 12 noon): Two-day Spanish GTA orientation. (Meeting both days in the Bingham Humanities Building 104 B.) Coordinator: Professor Melissa Groenewold, Coordinator of Basic Spanish Courses. Contact her at m0groe01 (@) louisville.edu for details.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY
- THURSDAY, AUGUST 18th (9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.): International student orientation (Chao Auditorium, Ekstrom Library). For a full roster of activities go to ISSS orientation website.