Directed research project
In addition to course requirements, Spanish MA candidates must complete an independent research project under the direction of a member of the graduate faculty in Spanish. This project should serve in some significant way as a culminating experience of the Spanish MA, whether by expanding on or synthesizing work done in a course (or courses) taken as part of the requirements for the MA in Spanish, or by developing practical applications for approaches and methodologies learned. Directed research projects are initiated at the start of the MA candidate’s final semester and are submitted at the end of that same semester in two forms: 1) as a written research paper; 2) as an oral presentation to the faculty and student body of the Spanish MA program.
The initiation form
MA candidates must submit the following materials to the director of graduate study no more than a month after the start of their final semester:
- a directed research project initiation form (PDF), approved and signed by the research project director (a member of the graduate faculty in Spanish).
- a 250-word proposal indicating topic, purpose, and methodology.
- a preliminary list of sources (both primary and secondary) relevant to the topic.
The written research paper must:
- comprise at least 25 pages of double-spaced text, excluding bibliography and ancillary materials. (Exceptions in length and format must be approved by both the research project director and the director of graduate study.)
- conform to a standard research paper format (MLA, APA, Chicago, as recommended by the research project director).
- demonstrate originality in its conception and a comprehensive understanding of critical issues.
- be composed in Spanish.
The oral presentation must:
- synthesize the main points of the written research paper (or present in depth a single main point).
- be presented in 8-10 minutes.
- be presented in Spanish.
For December 2020 graduation
Friday, September 11th: submission of project initiation form, proposal, and preliminary bibliography.
Wednesday, December 2nd: submission of written project.
Wednesday, December 2nd: MA Candidate Research Colloquium (public presentation of directed research project).
For May 2021 graduation
Friday, February 5th: submission of project initiation form, proposal, and preliminary bibliography.
Thursday, April 22nd: submission of written project.
Thursday, April 22nd: MA Candidate Research Colloquium (public presentation of directed research project).