Whitaker International Summer Grant recipient
UofL graduate student Ishita Jain has received a Whitaker International Summer Grant. As part of the program, she will spend eight weeks in Cologne, Germany, working as a Wyle Laboratories Bioengineering Intern at the European Space Agency.
The Whitaker International Summer Grant program is part of the Institute of International Education and designed to bring international experience and insight to the field of biomedical engineering. The prestigious prize goes to scholars who have already earned an undergraduate degree and want to further their study of biomedical engineering by collaborating with scientists from across the globe.
“With my long-term goal being to build a career around the furthering of human space exploration, gaining exposure to the work being done in this field and building a collaborative network of international colleagues will be invaluable. I cannot think of a better way to finish out a wonderful five years as a bioengineering student at UofL,” said Jain.
- Areas of study: Will graduate May 2014 with a master’s degree in bioengineering from J. B. Speed School of Engineering. Earned a bachelor’s degree in bioengineering in 2013.
- Collegiate recognition and honors: James Graham Brown Fellow, Mickey R. Wilhelm Achievement Award.
- Hometown: New Albany, Indiana
- High school: New Albany High School
- Parents: Mani and Manoj Jain of New Albany, Ind.