Dr. Nigel Cooper, KY INBRE Program Director, receives 5-year 18.3 million NIH grant award to strengthen Kentucky's infrastructure and capacity for biomedical research. More
WKU researcher shines in “Science Idol” competition — Dr. Jill Maples, an assistant professor in WKU’s Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport was selected as a co-winner in the first ever “Science Idol” competition held at the recent National IDeA Symposium of Biomedical Research Excellence in Washington DC. More
JUNE, 2014: IDeA CORE TRAVEL AWARD — Sabine Waigel, UofL Genomics Core Manager, receives IDeA Core Travel Award. The travel award for IDeA-sponsored Core Lab members helps defray the cost of attending the 5th Biennial National IDeA Symposium of Biomedical Research Excellence (NISBRE). Sabine Waigel attended the symposium, which was held June 16-18, 2014 in Washington, DC.
2013 - Katy Carlson's KBRIN-Funded Research Receives $350K NIH Grant — for a project titled “Accents and Syntactic Attachment: Exploring how pitch accents affect the resolution of syntactic ambiguities with or without prosodic boundaries.” - Learn more
- OCT 2013: — The October 2013 issue of the Lane Report highlights a KBRIN researcher's study of the growth of cancer cells. Dr. Ajay Srivastava, a WKU biology professor, and his students conduct genetic experiments on the Drosophila species of fruit fly as a model to study how cancer cells metastasize. Read article
- AUG 15-16: Dr.Cecile A. Marczinski associate professor at Northern Kentucky University was invited to speak at a two-day workshop co-sponsored by the NIH Office of Dietary Supplements and multiple NIH institutes. This workshop brought together prominent experts from across the nation to discuss the current knowledge related to the health implications of energy drinks. Dr. Marczinski discussed her research supported by KBRIN and her NIH R15 award, which has made a national impact on both the scientific community and the general public. APR 11, 2013: KBRIN-Supported NKU Student Shares First Place Award for Poster Competition in the Undergraduate/High School Division at the 2013 Neuroscience Day
- 2013:— Manori Jayasinghe, former postdoc at Northern Kentucky University, has been offered a tenure-track position in the Physics Department at the University of Cincinnati Blue Ash campus.
- APR 11, 2013 - Neuroscience Day 2013 added a new feature "DATA BLITZ:" a few abstracts from each category were selected for the Data Blitz, a rapid-fire overview of a poster presented to the entire audience at the beginning of Neuroscience Day.
- APR, 2013 - 2011 KBRIN summer student advances: Jordan Olberding, a WKU senior, was accepted into the PhD program at Yale University. Jordan was a 2011 KBRIN Summer Undergraduate Biomedical Research Program participant. Article and video
- FEB 2013: KBRIN-funded research in national news: Dr.Cecile A. Marczinski's research on alcohol and diet soda has been featured by National Public Radio [read article] and CNN [read article] highlighted in a national news report.
2nd NIH GRANT — Dr. Stefan Paula, an associate professor at NKU has received his second NIH grant for his research "Hydroquinone Derivatives as Novel Calcium Atpase Inhibitors." Dr. Paula describes his research and impact of receiving the grant in this VIDEO
NIH RENEWAL GRANT — Using her NIH renewal grant, Dr. Janelle Hare, an Associate Professor in the Biology & Chemistry Department of Morehead State University continues her research in "Mechanisms of Action of UMUD in Regulating DNA Damage-Induced Genes in a UMUC DEF." VIDEO and ARTICLE
- APR, 2012 - Whitney Rogers, New KBRIN Program Business Manager joins KBRIN. Whitney comes from the Department of Neurology, most recently managing the nationally recognized Center of Excellence in Parkinson’s Disease Research and Care. She has over 9 years of experience in clinical research and patient care.
- MAR 28-APR 1, 2012 - 11th Annual UT-ORNL-KBRIN Bioinformatics Summit was held in Louisville, Kentucky
- FEB 2012 - Bioinformatics Internships for Undergraduate Students (BIUS) in the Southeast INBRE Region, a collaborative undergraduate summer program was established. Applications for the first summer program were received in March.
- NOV. 4, 2011 - KBRIN Grant Writing Workshop held at Murray State
- OCT. 10, 2011 - External Advisory Committee Meeting
- OCT. 4, 2011 - IDeA PI Meeting, Bethesda, MD
- SEPT. 22-24, 2011 - 2011 Southeast Regional Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- SEPT. 2, 2011: Science News: Growth Hormone Helps Repair the Zebrafish Ear: Researchers from Western Kentucky University and the University of Louisville worked together to see which genes were switched on or off after acoustic trauma and found distinct patterns of gene expression. Read Article.
- MAY 12, 2011: KBRIN Bioinformatics Postdoc Associate Jovan David Rebolledo-Mendez, Ph.D. was selected for a FASEB MARC Program Presentation Travel Award to attend the International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB) meeting and 10th European Conference on Computational Biology (ECCB).