Responsibilities and Training of IACUC Members
The IACUC monitors all aspects of animal care and use at the UofL and advises the Institutional Official regarding program requirements and, when appropriate, recommends program changes. The principal responsibilities of the Committee are to:
- Ensure the humane and ethical treatment of laboratory animals
- Monitor the environment provided for laboratory animals by periodic inspection of the areas in which they are housed
- Disseminate information regarding approved methods of animal care to individuals who use animals in research and/or teaching
- Facilitate the establishment of mechanisms to protect personnel from occupational health and safety hazards that may be associated with the use of animals
- Review and investigate animal welfare concerns
Upon appointment, the IACUC Chair and the Assistant Vice President for Research Services/Director RRF brief Committee members on their responsibilities. The briefing includes the distribution of printed information related to IACUC function and duties. This information is reviewed with each new Committee member and includes:
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee Guidebook, NIH Publication No. 92-3415
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, National Academy Press, 1996
- Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, NIH OPRR Publication, 1996
- Animal Welfare Act and Regulations, Subchapter A, APHIS, USDA, 1992 Edition
- 2007 Report of the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia, JAVMA 218: 5, 669-696
- "Take-Home Messages" from OPRR Guidebook
- Semi-Annual Self-Assessment (SASA) forms
- IACUC Policy and Procedures Manual
- "Level II" Training Packet
- "UofL Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee Guidelines"
- "UofL Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee Review Procedures for Proposals to Use Laboratory Animals in Research and Teaching"
- "UofL IACUC Proposal to Use Laboratory Animals in Research and Teaching"
- "UofL IACUC Proposal to Use Fresh or Frozen Animal Tissue"
- "UofL RRC Laboratory Animal Anesthesia and Euthanasia Manual for Rodents and Rabbits," 1997 edition
- "UofL RRF User's Guide," 1997 edition
During Committee tenure, the University provides funding and encourages members to attend IACUC-focused conferences. Members are also provided password access to the "Members Only" section of the National Association for Biomedical Research website and are given the opportunity to join the IACUC-FORUM listserv managed by AALAS.