The Office of Export and Secure Research Compliance (OESRC) supports UofL's commitment to complying with U.S. laws and regulations applicable to export and trade sanctions.
When might your university activities be subject to export and sanction regulations?
- If you intend to accept restrictions on publication, foreign national participation, or involve proprietary information in your activity
- If you intend to purchase or use 3rd party export controlled technology or information
- If your activity will involve military, intelligence, space, encryption software, or nuclear related information, technical data, equipment, or software
- If you intend to travel outside of the United States
- If you intend to ship or carry items outside of the United States
- If you intend to have foreign nationals participate in research activities
- If you want to participate in an international collaboration
- If you intend to host a foreign visitor at UofL
- If your activity will involve international payment of funds to non-U.S. persons
- If your activity will involve providing professional consulting services overseas
If your activity involves any of the above, you should contact OESRC for an export and sanction regulation assessment.
It is important that faculty and other researchers understand their obligations under the regulations and follow them. The consequences of violating the regulations can be severe, and include loss of research funding, fines, and/or prison time. UofL will assist investigators in complying with export control laws, but the primary responsibility rests with the researcher.
News and Events
If you have any international trade compliance concerns or if you have a comment about our services or staff, please use our online form to send us your thoughts. The form is anonymous unless you choose to give us your name and contact information.
Your feedback will aid us in our quest to provide the best services to faculty and collaborators.Go to online form →
William Metcalf, Director
Export & Secure Research Compliance
University of Louisville
Jouett Hall, Rm. LL01
2301 S. Third Street
Louisville, KY 40292