The University of Louisville and the university’s Commercialization EPI-Center actively support the entrepreneurial efforts of our faculty, staff and students. The Commercialization EPI-Center works with our creators, as well as external stakeholders, to develop and advance these endeavors.
In many cases, this may mean assisting a member of our faculty, staff or student body to form a startup around intellectual property (IP) protected through the EPI-Center. There are a few requirements that must be met in order for the university to effectively license IP to a startup:
- The IP must be appropriate to the startup – the EPI-Center team will work alongside the creators of the desired IP to make this determination;
- The IP must have been properly disclosed to the EPI-Center. This allows our team to ensure that all 3rd party obligations attached to the IP are properly fulfilled;
- The startup must have a viable business plan, which will be provided to the EPI-Center as part of license negotiations;
- The startup must have a business person in place who is not the UofL creator as defined by the IP policy. The startup must also be seeking, or already have competent management for the business.
The EPI-Center is happy to assist our creators in navigating the requirements and process of creating a startup. Please contact us as soon as possible if you have decided to pursue a startup opportunity. The earlier that you engage our office, the more we can do to assist you.
Outside of the assistance provided by the EPI-Center, there are many additional resources available to those involved in forming and running a startup. Please visit the links below to learn more about these resources and how they could be beneficial to your organization:
- Louisville Entrepreneurship Acceleration Partnership (LEAP)
- Forcht Center for Entrepreneurship
- iHub (entrepreneur co-working space)
- UofL Forcht Center: LaunchIt (entrepreneur training)
- Kentucky Science and Technology Corporation
- Start-Up Louisville (networking, events)
- Venture Connectors
- Enterprise Corp.
- Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development