Moving Expense Policy
To view the policy for moving expenses, please visit the Human Resources Department.
- Once an individual has accepted an offer for employment which includes moving expenses being paid by the University, as stated in the letter of offer or agreement, the established moving and storage contracted company must be used and the department should complete a Moving Form (Employee Move) listing the total amount allotted and speedtype that will be charged for the expenses. If a department has a lab or office move they should complete a Moving Form (Office/Lab Form).
- The completed form is sent to the Department of Purchasing and then forwarded to the contracted moving and storage Company, who will contact the individual moving to coordinate the move and arrange for an estimate to be done for the move.
- Upon receipt of the estimate, the Department of Purchasing notifies the department of the estimated dollar amount for the move. This is an estimate only, which will change according to the actual weight and any additional services requested by the individual moving. This allows the department and the individual moving to be prepared for any amount over the limit established by the department, which the individual will need to pay to the moving company upon delivery.
- Any changes that a department would like to make regarding the dollar amount and speedtype to be used to pay for a move must be provided in writing to the Department of Purchasing so that they can notify the moving and storage company.
- Once the final invoice for a move is received the department speedtype is charged.
- Requests for reimbursement to the eligible employee for self moving not contracting for outside labor, rather than using the existent moving contract, must be requested in advance to the Director of Purchasing by the department Vice President, Dean or Chairperson. The request should explain the circumstances for not using the contracted vendor and also the expenses the department may allow, (such as storage, trash removal, etc...), with the total dollar amount to be paid by the University.