How to apply for the major/minor in Psychology
Before you can apply to be a major or minor in Psychology, you must:
- Take Psychology 201 (Introduction to Psychology or equivalent transfer course) with a grade of C or higher.
- After completing your General Education Math requirement (preferably Math 111, College Algebra, or higher), take Psych 301 (Quantitative Methods in Psychology or equivalent statistics course) and earn a grade of at least C (effective Fall 2011). Students entering the University prior to Fall 2011 must have taken at least two 300+ level Psychology courses with grades of C minus or higher.
- Have an overall cumulative GPA minimum of 2.0 and a Psychology GPA minimum of 2.0. Students entering the University in Summer 2013 or after cannot count any Psychology class (including transferred classes) with a grade below C minus toward the Psychology class requirements for the major.
- Have completed at least 30 hours of degree-applicable credit.
- Submit your request online to the College of Arts and Sciences.
- When applying for the major, you will need to specify whether you wish enroll in one of the Bachelor of Arts Programs (with either a concentration in Social Sciences or Natural Sciences), or the Bachelor of Science Program. See Choosing your degree program for details about the differences among these degrees.
- PLEASE NOTE: You MUST have and USE a University email account in order to send and receive official University information. Your acceptance will be sent to your UofL email account.
- After a few weeks, notification regarding your status will be sent to you through your university email account. This application is accepted or rejected by the College of Arts and Sciences. If accepted, the Psychology advisor will send you a Program Form detailing the degree requirements you have met and those you will still need to meet. If you are not accepted, you will be told why by Arts and Sciences; once you have met the criteria, you may reapply.