The UBT Certification Program is designed to meet the learning needs of the University of Louisville business community. To receive the required certification, a participant must complete the core curriculum, in additional to 18 hours of general electives that focus on soft-skills or technical skills.
The University Business Training curriculum was determined and developed by university subject matter experts to meet the needs of unit business administrators. The required core courses focus on two general areas: financial systems and people systems.
Most classes require the following for successful completion:
- Completion of online class: Pass all online module quizzes with at least an 85% within three attempts
- Completion of classroom session: Attend the classroom session AND pass a proctored exam with at least a 85%; OR test out: Pass a proctored exam with at least a 85%
Each topic includes an online class in addition to a classroom session.
- University 101
- This class covers an introduction to university systems, governance and technology.
- Procuring and Paying for Goods and Services
- This class covers the elements of purchasing as well as certain Controller's Office functions necessary to procure and pay for goods and services.
- Sponsored Program Core
- This class covers the roles and responsibilities of the UBA in the areas of grants and industry contracts.
- Financial Administration
- This class covers the critical knowledge, skills and abilities required to navigate and use the university financial systems.
- Internal Controls and IT Security
- This class covers ethics, information security and other elements necessary to assure sound internal control practices.
- Budget and Position Management
- This class covers position management and other key elements for the unit business administrator. This course will cover the details of developing and working with budgets. Elements of this course will include budget systems, budget revisions and transfers, service center proposals, endowment budgeting, unit reorganizations, revenue sharing, and new fee revenue requests.
- Employment and Compensation
- This class covers core functions of hiring and orientation with new department employees.
- Employee Relations and Salary Administration
- This class covers issues of employee rights, performance management, related policies and procedures, and salary administration guidelines.
- Fraud Prevention
- This class covers the identification, prevention and best-practice responses to fraud.
Eighteen hours of general elective training, relating to the UBA's business responsibilities, are required for certification.
UBT participants may choose to attend publicly offered professional development classes from sources outside the UBT program that strengthen technical, interpersonal or cognitive skills. Other training that occurred after the start of the program may be submitted for a general elective in the program. Participants may Email the UBT Service Account a General Elective submission request; in it, please include a class outline and proof of attendance. Approval will be based on relevance of content and number of contact hours indicated by proof of attendance.
Should a UBT participant choose to attend a seminar offered through the Delphi Center, they will be granted a 50% discount. Contact Julijana Curcic at the Delphi Center for more information at 852.5636 or visit us at louisville.edu/professionaldevelopment.