President's Diversity Vision Award
The President’s Diversity Vision Award recognizes cumulative efforts to advance diversity and inclusion at the University of Louisville since the inception of the Diversity Plan: Achieving Our Highest Potential in 2003. The first award was given in spring 2008. Each subsequent award will be based on annual performance or other criteria to be established.
Eligibility for the award
The President's Diversity Vision Award is designed to honor programs, departments or units, engaged in diversity initiatives which have served to promote the development of an inclusive, diverse campus community, since the inception of the Diversity Plan: Achieving Our Highest Potential in 2003. Nominees or applicants for the award must be participants in a current unit diversity plan.
The first place winner receives $10,000. Other prizes for second or third place candidates may be distributed if the selection committee elects to acknowledge other meritorious applications.
Structure of the Award Process
The Diversity Vision Award process is directed by the Vice Provost for Diversity and Equal Opportunity. The review and selection process includes representatives from the university community and external peer reviewers with expertise in diversity programming and education.
External Peer reviewers are identified to evaluate the top five applications and provide feedback to the Screening Committee. The feedback from the peer reviewers is advisory. Honorariums are provided to the external peer reviewers for their participation. The Screening committee compiles a synopsis of the internal and external reviews for the Selection committee.
Criteria and Oversight Committee
The primary tasks of this committee are to:
- Develop the general structure of the first award process.
- Create the application for the President’s Diversity Vision Award.
- Develop a diversity award process that will specify the criteria and evaluation standards to be used in making the award.
- Issue the Call for Nominations.
Screening Committee membership
- Vice Provost for Diversity and Equal Opportunity, Ex- Officio/ Chair
- Chair of the Commission on Diversity and Racial Equality
- Chair of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Chair of the Black Faculty and Staff Association
- Chair of the UofL Faculty & Staff for Human Rights
- Director of the International Center
- Chair of the Diversity Learning Project
- Chair of Diversity Curriculum Development
- Director of the Disability Resource Center
Selection Committee membership
- Board of Trustees Representative
- Board of Overseers Representative
- Vice Provost for Diversity and Equal Opportunity – Ex Officio
- Staff support for the Diversity Vision Award committees will be provided by Connie Shumake, Director of Accreditation and Program Management.
- academic or administrative unit (college, school or division), dean’s office, vice-president’s office, president or provost office
- sub-unit within an administrative or academic unit
- entities that may be located within a department or administrative unit including centers and institutes