MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION, INC.
In Open Session
The members of the board of directors of the University of Louisville Athletic Association, Inc. met on June 3, 2005, in the Jefferson Room, Grawemeyer Hall, with members present and absent as follows:
Present: Dr. James Ramsey, Chair
Mr. Bob Benson
Prof. Beth Boehm
Prof. William Cheadle
Ms. Bev Daly
Mr. Burt Deutsch
Prof. Richard Feldhoff
Mr. Gordon Gahm
Prof. Brenda Hart
Mr. Wade Houston
Dr. J. Blaine Hudson
Mr. D. Harry Jones
Mr. Tom Jurich, ex officio
Prof. Bruce Kemelgor
Prof. Glenda Neely
Mr. Larry Owsley
Mr. Mike Seebert
Prof. Robert Stenger
Prof. Richard Stremel
Dr. Shirley Willihnganz
Prof. Elaine Wise
Absent: Mr. William Brammell, Jr.
Mr. Richard Emmett
Dr. Henry Enck
Mr. Owsley B. Frazier
Mr. Grant Helman
Mr. Sam Rechter
Mr. Greg Virgin
University: Ms. Angela D. Koshewa
Mr. Mike Curtin
Mr. Kevin Miller
Ms. Julie Hermann
Mr. Gary Friedman
Mr. Kenny Klein
Mr. Terry Valetta
Ms. Susan Ingram
Ms. Kathleen Smith
Ms. Debbie Dougherty
I. Convene Meeting
Having determined a quorum present, Chair Ramsey called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m.
II. Consent Agenda
Approval of Minutes, January 28, 2005
From the Finance & Budget Committee
- Action Item: Approval of Men’s Basketball Season Ticket Prices for 2005
- Action Item: Approval of Purchase of Video Editing Equipment for Football
- Action Item: Approval of 2005-06 Operating Budget
From the Personnel Committee
- Action Item: Approval of Kyle Moats to Associate Athletic Director (Change in Status from P&A to Administrator)
Chairman Ramsey read the roll of consent agenda items. Hearing no objection, Prof. Kemelgor made a motion, which Dr. Hudson seconded, to approve the agenda. The motion passed unanimously.
III. Annual Evaluation of the Athletic Director
Mr. Seebert reported that earlier this month, the Personnel Committee met to evaluate the 2004-05 performance of Athletic Director Thomas M. Jurich. The Committee discussed Mr. Jurich’s written self-assessment and the written evaluation of Mr. Jurich’s performance as submitted by the President and the Chairs of the Committee on Finance & Budget and Academic Performance. Subsequent to the Personnel Committee meeting, Mr. Seebert and Chair Ramsey met with Mr. Jurich to review the results of his performance evaluation and to discuss the Board’s goals and objectives for 2005-06.
The Report of the Personnel Committee applauds Mr. Jurich’s strengths in recruiting and retaining outstanding senior leadership, from coaches to administrators, and engaging the professional athletic staff to achieve at the highest levels in academic performance, gender equity, NCAA compliance, and community support for athletic initiatives. Mr. Jurich’s commitment to enhance the marketing opportunities of Cardinal Athletics, especially through a new recruitment supported by Nelligan Sports Marketing, continues to yield substantial increases in conference and other new sources of revenue.
Committee members praised the AD’s efforts to enhance the reputation of UofL Athletics through participation in the Big East Conference, which has a potential for developing collaborative programmatic relationships with premier nationally-recognized universities. Mr. Jurich’s commitment to all sports competing at the highest level has resulted most recently in state-of-the art facilities, e.g., Patterson Stadium, Wright Natatorium, Trager Fieldhouse, and the Yum! Basketball Practice addition.
The hallmark of a state university is public accountability throughout its units. Mr. Jurich has demonstrated that Cardinal Athletics administers a structurally responsible budget that projects balanced revenues and expenses and achieves results. The Committee reiterated its praise for the A.D.’s attentiveness to fiscal management.
Mr. Jurich, his senior staff, and all the Cardinal Coaches represent the University and Athletics extremely well. The message they communicate supports the joint interests of the University and Cardinal Athletics; their commitment to academic accomplishment, athletic achievement, and accountability in all areas of operation contributes to an image of quality throughout the University. This team effort is directly attributable to Mr. Jurich’s exemplary leadership.
The AD’s goals for 2005-06, as discussed with Mr. Jurich, follow:
- Complete the Trager Indoor Practice Facility by the end of 2005
- Continue any and all efforts necessary to enhance academic performance and graduation rates of student-athletes by supporting Marvin Mitchell and his staff—this is especially crucial under the new NCAA Academic Performance Rating legislation
- Bring UofL into line with other Big East schools in the area of food service, where we are at a dramatic disadvantage. UofL needs access to the healthiest food choices possible and available at hours that accommodate the needs of our student-athletes’ schedules
- Continue to represent the University on the Governor’s Arena Task Force to assure all UofL’s needs are met
- Sustain our effort to increase compliance with Title IX by adding and improving facilities; work with Lamar Daniel to update and implement our gender equity plan
- Create and expand the “L Care” program, which encompasses student development, sports medicine, career planning, and placement
- Support Kyle Moats to make the best possible use of our partnerships with Nelligan Sports Marketing, WHAS-TV, Clear Channel Radio, and other media and marketing outlets that have the potential to increase the University’s exposure and to bring new revenues to Cardinal Athletics
- Maintain a financial strategy that embraces a balanced budget, new sources of revenues, and provision for sufficient expenditures to support Cardinal programs competing at the national level and in the Big East Conference
- Complete fundraising and planning for Yum! Basketball Practice Facility
- Maintain vigilance and an exemplary record of compliance
- Implement the recommendation of the NCAA Certification Steering Committee
- Lead a continuing effort to assure that Cardinal Athletics is critical support to the President’s “one university” vision
Chair Ramsey thanked Mr. Seebert for the Committee’s thorough evaluation and excellent report. Chair Ramsey praised Mr. Jurich’s many accomplishments and dedication. On behalf of the Board, President Ramsey reaffirmed his gratitude for Mr. Jurich’s continuing devotion to UofL and for his excellent staff. As UofL enters the Big East Conference, Dr. Ramsey stated the University would install a photographic banner depicting Tom Jurich, the best Athletic Director in the nation, on the corner of Central Avenue and Floyd Street. Mr. Jurich has earned his place among the Louisville Legends. Mr. Jurich thanked the Board for its support and recognized the Athletics team for its dedication and outstanding work.
IV. Report of the Committee on Academic Performance
Prof. Wise provided the following report:
The Committee on Academic Performance meets on the third Tuesday of the month at 11:30 AM in Bingham Humanities Building, Room 300. The Committee met on August 17, September 21, November 16, December 21, 2004 and January 18, February 15, and April 19, 2005. The next scheduled meeting is July 19, 2005. Among its regular duties, the Committee discussed and acted on the following:
Cohort reports for Summer, Fall and Spring, tracing student-athlete grade point average
and retention and graduation rates for the last five years.
- Division I Academic Reform and Incentives/Disincentives Reports
- C-USA, Big East and NCAA Academic Performance Rate Reports
- The Big East Sportsmanship Document
- U of L and C-USA Missed Class Time and Academic Impact Reports
- The Revised U of L Policy on Recruiting Procedures
- Annual Review of Athletic Academic Advising
- Revision of Student-Athlete Exit Interview Form
- Annual Report on Compliance Issues and Secondary Violations
- The COIA (Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics) Report
- Planning for and production of the Red and Black Banquet
The Committee met with the Student Athletes Advisory Board in September at its regular monthly meeting. Having heard that the Excused Absence Policy was still not widely known or followed, the Committee asked the Provost to remind faculty of the policy and asked that Associate Provost Billingsley develop a process whereby students could register complaints. In response the Provost sent a letter to the faculty and the Committee continues to work with Associate Provost Billingsley in the drafting of an addendum to the policy which provides a process for appeal.
Among many other activities, the Faculty Athletics Representative (FAR) met with every athletic team to discuss strategies for academic success, administered the NCAA Certification Exam to every coach and provided information sessions to coaches on university processes and procedures, discussed graduate and professional school opportunities with seniors, and nominated two student athletes for C-USA Post Graduate Scholarships. The FAR represented U of L at Faculty Athletics Representative Association Annual Meeting and at two Big East meetings. The FAR has also advised the President and Provost on matters related to athletics, reported monthly to the Faculty Senate, met regularly with the Athletic Director, Senior Women’s Administrator, Associate Athletic Directors and Registrar, and served on the Big East Facilities Task Force. The FAR and CAP look forward to the move to the Big East.
Chairman Ramsey thanked Prof. Wise for an excellent and informative report.
V. Report of the Athletic Director
Vice President Jurich reported on the status of the Governor’s Task Force on the Arena, noting the task force had met to discuss several proposed sites. The Committee plans to complete its work and make a recommendation to the Governor in October. Mr. Deutsch recommended the University communicate clearly its vision to the community.
End of Year Progress Report
Mr. Jurich recognized the dedication and hard work of the Athletics staff for a great year.
Graduation rates continue to improve and Mr. Jurich recognized the exceptional work of Marvin Mitchell and his staff.
Mr. Jurich provided the following updates:
- Of the football seniors, 32 of the 37 graduated in the last two years
- Rowing is receiving national recognition
- Women’s swimming, women’s track and field are also coming along well
Mr. Jurich firmly stated a need to address on-campus food service issues. Ms. Hermann explained scheduling issues compound the difficulty athletes face because of practices at various times conflict with the “open hours” for food service, and further diminish healthy food choices for the students.
VI. Report of the Chairman
President Ramsey recognized Bill Cheadle, Ryan McKinley, and Rebecca Jo Schneider for their dedicated service to the University as board members of the University of Louisville Athletic Association. Mr. Deutsch made a motion, which Prof. Kemelgor seconded, to approve the following resolution in appreciation of their service:
William Cheadle, Ryan McKinley, and Rebecca Jo Schneider
WHEREAS , William Cheadle, Ryan McKinley, and Rebecca Jo Schneider have served the University of Louisville Athletic Association with distinction as members of the ULAA Board of Directors, and provided substantial service to the Board during their terms;
WHEREAS , in their capacities as members of the Board, they have served faithfully and well, including on all committee assignments;
WHEREAS, they represented the position of their constituencies with balance and conviction at all times, and served as advocates for the welfare of university students and faculty;
WHEREAS , they provided invaluable advice to the President, shared their insight and experience with the University of Louisville leadership team, and always gave their loyal support to the University thereby winning the deep respect of their fellow Board members;
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED , that the Board of Directors of the University of Louisville Athletic Association, Inc. hereby expresses its sincere admiration and deep appreciation to Bill Cheadle, Ryan McKinley, and Becky Schneider for their many contributions and able performance as Directors of the University of Louisville Athletic Association, Inc; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED , that personalized copies of this Resolution, appropriately signed, be presented to Dr. Cheadle, Mr. McKinley and Ms. Schneider.
The motion passed unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 9:35 a.m.