MINUTES OF THE SPECIAL MEETING OF THE
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION, INC.
January 8, 2003
The Board of Directors of the University of Louisville Athletic Association, Inc. held a special meeting on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 at 4:00 p.m. in the Jefferson Room of Grawemeyer Hall, with members present and absent as follows:
Present: Dr. James Ramsey, Chairman, Presiding
Dr. Henry Enck, Vice Chairman
Mr. Robert P. Benson Jr., Treasurer
Mr. Joseph S. Beyel
Mr. Richard Emmett
Dr. Richard Feldhoff
Mr. Bill Forman
Mr. Grant Helman
Mr. Thomas M. Jurich, ex officio
Mr. Chris Marlin
Dr. Richard L. Miller
Prof. Glenda S. Neely
Mr. Larry Owsley
Dr. William Pierce (arrived at 4:25 p.m.)
Mr. T. W. Samuels, Jr.
Mr. Michael Seebert
Dr. Kenneth N. Schikler
Prof. Bob Stenger
Mr. Michael Sticklen
Prof. Paul J. Weber
Dr. Shirley Willihnganz
Prof. Elaine O. Wise
Absent: Ms. Blanche Brewer
Mr. Junior Bridgeman, ex officio
Dr. William Cheadle
Mr. Owsley B. Frazier
Mr. Wade Houston
Judge Olga S. Peers
Mr. Sam Rechter
From the University: Mr. Kevin Miller
Ms. Rae Goldsmith
Ms. Angela Koshewa, University Counsel
Mr. Mike Curtin, Assistant Treasurer
Mrs. Kathleen Smith, Assistant Secretary
Ms. Trisha Wolf, Board Liaison, President’s Office
I. Convene Meeting
Having determined a quorum present, Chair Ramsey called the meeting to order at 4:05 p.m. He welcomed Mr. Grant Helman as a new at-large member to the Board of Directors.
II. Action Item: Cardinal Hall Construction
Kevin Miller reported that the Board needs to ratify the action of the Executive Committee taken on December 19, 2002 regarding the construction of Cardinal Hall. He stated that in addition to the original action the financing proposal will include ULAA pledging part of its quasi-endowment as a supplemental backup to the already existing pledge agreements.
Mr. Benson made a motion, which Mr. Seebert seconded, to approve
The Athletic Director’s recommendation that the Board of Directors ratifies the action approved by the Executive Committee on December 19, 2002 (attached), and further approves the following:
- The ULAA will request that the UofL Foundation agree to guarantee the final financing proposal using ULAA quasi-endowment funds if this is a condition for bank financing; and
- The ULAA will request that ULH, Inc. agree to enter into the necessary contracts to construct Cardinal Hall, subject to the terms of this recommendation and the action of the Board of Trustees on January 9, 2003.
The motion passed unanimously.
III. Executive Session
Dr. Enck made a motion, which Prof. Stenger seconded, to go into Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter.
IV. Open Meeting Reconvenes
Dr. Ramsey reported that a personnel matter was discussed in Executive Session. No action was taken.
V. Action Item: Appointment of Head Football Coach
Dr. Ramsey asked the Board of Directors to ratify the action taken by the Executive Committee on December 23, 2003 regarding the head football coach.
Prof. Weber made a motion, which Prof. Stenger seconded, to approve
The Athletic Director’s recommendation that the Board of Directors ratifies the action approved by the Executive Committee on December 23, 2002 (attached), and further approves the following:
- The contract for Robert “Bobby” Petrino in substantially the form attached; and
- Authorization of the Chairman of the Board to execute the final contract.
The motion passed unanimously.
Chair Ramsey thanked Tom for his efforts and welcomed Coach Petrino back to UofL.
Coach Petrino stated that it was great to be back in Louisville and he is very excited about the future. He and his staff have already taken over the recruiting process and will make home visits next week. Coach Petrino introduced his staff as follows
- Greg Nord, Assistant Head Coach and Tight Ends Coach
- Paul Petrino, Offensive Coordinator
- Mike Gillhammer, Defensive Coordinator
- Mike Summers, Offensive Line Coach
- Jeff Brohm, Quarterbacks Coach
- Joel Thomas, Running Backs Coach
- Kevin Wolthausen, Linebackers Coach
- Joe Whitt Jr., Cornerbacks Coach
- Sam Adams, Graduate Assistant
VI. Report of Chair
Mr. Jurich welcomed Coach Petrino and his staff.
Mr. Beyel made a motion, which Prof. Wise seconded, to adjourn the meeting at 4:32 p.m. The
motion passed unanimously.