The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is a campus service organization responsible for law enforcement, crime prevention, emergency services and parking management for the University of Louisville. Services are provided on a 24-hour basis to students, faculty and staff, as well as visitors to the University of Louisville.
We cannot do this job alone. As a staff member of the University of Louisville you can help by calling us when you have a security-related problem or if you witness an incident occurring on campus. Get to know us better and help form that teamwork that will help make the University of Louisville as safe and secure as it can possibly be.
If you have any questions or recommendations concerning safety and security on campus, please contact the Department of Public Safety at 852-6111 and share your thoughts and ideas with us.
These suggestions may help prevent you from becoming the victim of a robbery:
- Walk with a group of people, and if walking to a parking lot, do not the leave the area until everyone is safely in their vehicle.
- Remain alert and watchful for suspicious activity.
- Be alert for anything suspicious, especially two or more people just hanging around.
- If you sense something wrong, leave the area immediately.
These suggestions are things to do and not do during an actual robbery, and after a robbery occurs:
- Observe what the suspect looks like and develop a mental picture so that an accurate description can be given to the police.
- Don't chase or follow the suspect.
- Protect the crime scene. Leave everything as it is. Don't try to clean up and don't touch any possible evidence.
- Write down a description of the suspect including sex, race, height, weight, build, eye and hair color, scars or tattoos, jewelry, approximate age, and clothing. If possible, note in which direction the suspect fled. Remember do not chase the suspect.
Report any suspicious activity to the University Police at 852-6111.
Call the Department of Public Safety for escort services at 852-6111.