February 11, 2010 - Crime Notification
Issued: February 11, 2010
SPECIAL ATTENTION BELKNAP COMMUNITY
The University of Louisville Police Department is investigating a reported attempted robbery of a university student behind the Kurz Hall Apartments.
The victim advised that on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at approximately 6:51 PM, he was approached by the suspect as he was sitting on a car in the Kurz Hall parking lot. The victim advised that the suspect asked him what he had and pulled back his coat to show him a knife. The victim refused to give up his property and the suspect was last seen running north bound away from the campus.
The victim described the suspect involved as follows:
Suspect is a black male approx. 5’7”, 25-35 years of age. The suspect was wearing a black toboggan, a black zip-up jacket, black pants, and grey colored shoes. This victim also indicated that the suspect had thin facial hair described as “scruffy”.
If you have any information on this case please contact the University Police at 852-6111.
The following are suggestions, which may help prevent you from becoming the victim of a robbery:
- Walk with a group of people, and if walking to a parking lot, do not the leave the area until everyone is safely in their vehicle.
- Remain alert and watchful for suspicious activity.
- Be alert for anything suspicious, especially two or more people just hanging around.
- If you sense something wrong, leave the area immediately.
The following are suggestions of things to do and not do during an actual robbery, and what to do after an assault occurs:
- Observe what the suspect looks like and develop a mental picture so that an accurate description can be given to the police.
- Don't chase or follow the suspect.
- Protect the crime scene. Leave everything as it is. Don't try to clean up or touch any possible evidence.
- Write down a description of the suspect including sex, race, height, weight, build, eye and hair color, scars or tattoos, jewelry, approximate age, and clothing. If possible, note in which direction the suspect fled. Remember do not chase the suspect.
Report any suspicious activity to the University Police at 852-6111.
Call the Department of Public Safety for escort services at 852-6111.