May 5, 2008 - Belknap Safety Bulletin
Issued: May 5, 2008
SPECIAL ATTENTION BELKNAP COMMUNITY
The Louisville Metro Police Department reports an off-campus assault of an individual (non-student) at 2035 South Third Street.
On Saturday, May 3, 2008, at 9:49 PM, Louisville Metro Police responded to a fight in progress in front of the Speed Museum. Upon arrival Louisville Metro Police discovered an injured subject. The subject advised he was cut on the neck with a possible box cutter during an altercation with two subjects. The victim was transported to University Hospital by Metro EMS. The suspects were last seen by the victim running from the area on foot.
The suspects were described by the victim as two black males. The first suspect was between 5’8” and 6’0” wearing all orange. The second suspect was between 5’8” and 6’0” wearing a light colored T-shirt and blue jeans. The victim could not provide any other description of the suspects.
The Louisville Metro Police Department is handling the investigation. If you have any information on this case please contact the Louisville Metro Police Department Fourth Division Detectives at 574-2300 or the University Police at 852-6111
The following are suggestions, which may help prevent you from becoming the victim of an assault:
- Walk with a group of people, and if walking to a parking lot, do not the leave the area until everyone is safely in their vehicle.
- Remain alert and watchful for suspicious activity.
- Be alert for anything suspicious, especially two or more people just hanging around.
- If you sense something wrong, leave the area immediately.
The following are suggestions of things to do and not do during an actual assault, and what to do after an assault occurs:
- Observe what the suspect looks like and develop a mental picture so that an accurate description can be given to the police.
- Don't chase or follow the suspect.
- Protect the crime scene. Leave everything as it is. Don't try to clean up or touch any possible evidence.
- Write down a description of the suspect including sex, race, height, weight, build, eye and hair color, scars or tattoos, jewelry, approximate age, and clothing. If possible, note in which direction the suspect fled. Remember do not chase the suspect.
Report any suspicious activity to the University Police at 852-6111.
Call the Department of Public Safety for escort services at 852-6111.