October 22, 2007 - Belknap Crime Alert
Issued October 22, 2007
The University of Louisville Police Department received a report on October 22, 2007, of an attempted purse-snatch by physical force from a University student. The victim reported that she was approached by the suspect as she was walking next to the Sigma Kappa House.
The victim advised that on Sunday, October 21, 2007 between the hours of 10:30 PM and 11:00 PM, she was approached by the suspect as she walked near the Sigma Kappa House. The suspect was standing next to the building. The suspect said hello to the victim and then grabbed her purse and attempted to take it by force. The victim punched the suspect in the face causing the suspect to flee the scene.
The suspect is described as a Black male, 5’8”-5’9”, 150-160 lbs, wearing blue jeans and a black hooded sweatshirt.
If you have any information on this case please contact the University Police at 852-6111.
The following are suggestions, which may help prevent you from becoming the victim of a robbery:
- Walk with a group of people, and if walking to a parking lot, do not the leave the area until everyone is safely in their vehicle.
- Remain alert and watchful for suspicious activity.
- Be alert for anything suspicious, especially two or more people just hanging around.
- If you sense something wrong, leave the area immediately.
The following are suggestions of things to do and not do during an actual robbery, and what to do after an assault occurs:
- Observe what the suspect looks like and develop a mental picture so that an accurate description can be given to the police.
- Don't chase or follow the suspect.
- Protect the crime scene. Leave everything as it is. Don't try to clean up or touch any possible evidence.
- Write down a description of the suspect including sex, race, height, weight, build, eye and hair color, scars or tattoos, jewelry, approximate age, and clothing. If possible, note in which direction the suspect fled. Remember do not chase the suspect.
Report any suspicious activity to the University Police at 852-6111.
Call University Police for escort services at 852-6111.