May 24, 2009 - Belknap Crime Alert
Issued May 24, 2009
Issued: May 24, 2009
SPECIAL ATTENTION BELKNAP COMMUNITY
The University of Louisville Police Department was advised by a University of Louisville student that at approximately 4:12 AM on Sunday, May 24, 2009, he was a victim of a strong armed robbery in the 2000 Block of Unity Place. The student advised that as he was getting out of his parked car the suspect approached him and threatened him if he did not give up his cell phone. The suspect took the cell phone and fled on foot running north on Third Street. No weapon was displayed.
The victim described the suspect as a black male, 20 years of age, 6’ in height, and thin build. He was wearing a black shirt.
If you have any information on this case please contact the University Police at 852-6111.
The following are suggestions, which may help prevent you from becoming the victim of a robbery:
• Walk with a group of people, and if walking to a parking lot, do not the leave the area until everyone is safely in their vehicle.
• Remain alert and watchful for suspicious activity.
• Be alert for anything suspicious, especially two or more people just hanging around.
• If you sense something wrong, leave the area immediately.
The following are suggestions of things to do and not do during an actual robbery, and what to do after an assault occurs:
• Observe what the suspect looks like and develop a mental picture so that an accurate description can be given to the police.
• Don't chase or follow the suspect.
• Protect the crime scene. Leave everything as it is. Don't try to clean up or touch any possible evidence.
• Write down a description of the suspect including sex, race, height, weight, build, eye and hair color, scars or tattoos, jewelry, approximate age, and clothing. If possible, note in which direction the suspect fled. Remember do not chase the suspect.
Report any suspicious activity to the University Police at 852-6111.
Call the Department of Public Safety for escort services at 852-6111.