September 29, 2011 - Safety Bulliten
Issued: September 29, 2011
Off-Campus Incident with Arrests
Issued: September 28, 2011
Special Attention Belknap Campus Community
The Louisville Metro Police Department has advised the University of Louisville Police Department of a strong-armed robbery that occurred at the corner of Fourth and Lee Streets.
The victim advised that on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 at approximately 3:15 PM, as she was walking on Fourth Street, she was approached and surrounded by 3 suspects. The suspects then reached in the victim’s pocket and stole her wallet. The victim flagged down a Louisville Metro Police car. University Police were advised and joined Louisville Metro Police in the attempt to locate the suspects.
Louisville Metro Police Units located and arrested 2 of the 3 suspects.
If you have any information on this case please contact the Louisville Metro Police Department at 574-7111 or the University Police at 852-6111.
The following are suggestions, which may help prevent you from becoming the victim of a robbery:
• Walk with a group of people, and if walking to a parking lot, do not the leave the area until everyone is safely in their vehicle.
• Remain alert and watchful for suspicious activity.
• Be alert for anything suspicious, especially two or more people just hanging around.
• If you sense something wrong, leave the area immediately.
The following are suggestions of things to do and not do during an actual robbery, and what to do after a robbery occurs:
• Observe what the suspect looks like and develop a mental picture so that an accurate description can be given to the police.
• Don't chase or follow the suspect.
• Protect the crime scene. Leave everything as it is. Don't try to clean up or touch any possible evidence.
• Write down a description of the suspect including sex, race, height, weight, build, eye and hair color, scars or tattoos, jewelry, approximate age, and clothing. If possible, note in which direction the suspect fled. Remember do not chase the suspect.
Report any suspicious activity to the University Police at 852-6111.
Call the Department of Public Safety for escort services at 852-6111.