April 19, 2011 - Safety Bulletin
Issued April 19, 2011 SAFETY BULLETIN - OFF CAMPUS INCIDENT Special Attention HSC Community
Issued: April 19, 2011
SPECIAL ATTENTION HSC COMMUNITY
On Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at approximately 10:40 AM, the Louisville Metro Police Department advised the University of Louisville Police Department of a strong armed robbery that occurred near the 620 Parking Garage, Hancock and Madison Streets.
On Tuesday, April 19, 2011 a University of Louisville student reported to Louisville Metro Police that a strong armed robbery had occurred. The victim advised that she was approached by the suspect on Madison Street. The suspect was asking for money, then hit the victim in the face, grabbed the victim’s purse, and fled on foot. The incident was observed by University Hospital Security, who followed and confronted the suspect. The suspect was charged with robbery by the Louisville Metro Police and transported to Metro Corrections.
If you have any information on this case please contact the Louisville Metro Police Department at 574-7111 or the University Police at 852-6111.
The following are suggestions, which may help prevent you from becoming the victim of a robbery:
• Walk with a group of people, and if walking to a parking lot, do not the leave the area until everyone is safely in their vehicle.
• Remain alert and watchful for suspicious activity.
• Be alert for anything suspicious, especially two or more people just hanging around.
• If you sense something wrong, leave the area immediately.
The following are suggestions of things to do and not do during an actual robbery, and what to do after a robbery occurs:
• Observe what the suspect looks like and develop a mental picture so that an accurate description can be given to the police.
• Don't chase or follow the suspect.
• Protect the crime scene. Leave everything as it is. Don't try to clean up or touch any possible evidence.
• Write down a description of the suspect including sex, race, height, weight, build, eye and hair color, scars or tattoos, jewelry, approximate age, and clothing. If possible, note in which direction the suspect fled. Remember do not chase the suspect.
Report any suspicious activity to the University Police at 852-6111.
Call the Department of Public Safety for escort services at 852-6111.
LMPD 8011029068/ULPD C11-09294