September 10, 2009 - Belknap Safety Bulletin
Issued September 10, 2009 Special Attention Belknap Community
Issued: September 10, 2009
SPECIAL ATTENTION BELKNAP COMMUNITY
The Louisville Metro Police Department is investigating a robbery of two University of Louisville Students that occurred on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at approximately 9:24 PM, on Third Street just north of Brandeis Street.
Both victims advised that they were getting out of a parked car on Third Street when the suspect approached them riding a bicycle. The suspect demanded money and any other valuables. The suspect then grabbed one of the victim’s back packs and fled the scene. The suspect was last seen riding a dark colored mountain style bicycle east bound on Cardinal.
The victims described the suspect as a B/M/ 5’ 8”, 16-18 years of age, dark skin wearing a black polo shirt and black pants. Suspect had large front teeth with a gap between the teeth.
If you have any information on this case please contact the Louisville Metro Police Department at 574-7111 or the University Police at 852-6111.
The following are suggestions, which may help prevent you from becoming the victim of a robbery:
• Walk with a group of people, and if walking to a parking lot, do not the leave the area until everyone is safely in their vehicle.
• Remain alert and watchful for suspicious activity.
• Be alert for anything suspicious, especially two or more people just hanging around.
• If you sense something wrong, leave the area immediately.
The following are suggestions of things to do and not do during an actual robbery, and what to do after a robbery occurs:
• Observe what the suspect looks like and develop a mental picture so that an accurate description can be given to the police.
• Don't chase or follow the suspect.
• Protect the crime scene. Leave everything as it is. Don't try to clean up or touch any possible evidence.
• Write down a description of the suspect including sex, race, height, weight, build, eye and hair color, scars or tattoos, jewelry, approximate age, and clothing. If possible, note in which direction the suspect fled. Remember do not chase the suspect.
Report any suspicious activity to the University Police at 852-6111.
Call the Department of Public Safety for escort services at 852-6111.