April 28, 2010 - Belknap Safety Bulletin
Issued April 28, 2010 Special Attention Belknap Community
Issued: April 28, 2010
SPECIAL ATTENTION BELKNAP COMMUNITY
On Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at approximately 6:30 PM, the Louisville Metro Police Department advised the University of Louisville Police Department of a strong armed robbery that occurred near Gray’s Book Store, 1915 South Fourth Street.
On Tuesday, April 27, 2010, a University of Louisville student reported to Louisville Metro Police that a strong armed robbery had occurred. The victim advised that she was approached by the suspect in the parking lot near Gray’s Bookstore. The suspect was asking for money. The victim gave the suspect a dollar and was putting her money back into her pocket when the suspect grabbed her from behind, reached into her pocket and took the rest of her money. The suspect fled on foot from the area.
The victim described the suspect as a B/M, 6’, unshaven, wearing a black and red baseball cap, a gray sweatshirt with “U of L” on it, and blue jeans.
If you have any information on this case please contact the Louisville Metro Police Department at 574-7111 or the University Police at 852-6111.
The following are suggestions, which may help prevent you from becoming the victim of a robbery:
• Walk with a group of people, and if walking to a parking lot, do not the leave the area until everyone is safely in their vehicle.
• Remain alert and watchful for suspicious activity.
• Be alert for anything suspicious, especially two or more people just hanging around.
• If you sense something wrong, leave the area immediately.
The following are suggestions of things to do and not do during an actual robbery, and what to do after a robbery occurs:
• Observe what the suspect looks like and develop a mental picture so that an accurate description can be given to the police.
• Don't chase or follow the suspect.
• Protect the crime scene. Leave everything as it is. Don't try to clean up or touch any possible evidence.
• Write down a description of the suspect including sex, race, height, weight, build, eye and hair color, scars or tattoos, jewelry, approximate age, and clothing. If possible, note in which direction the suspect fled. Remember do not chase the suspect.
Report any suspicious activity to the University Police at 852-6111.
Call the Department of Public Safety for escort services at 852-6111.