October 27, 2011 - Safety Bulletin
Issued: October 27, 2011
Special Attention Belknap Campus Community
The Louisville Metro Police Department has advised the University of Louisville Police Department of a strong armed robbery that occurred in the 1800 block of S. Second Street.
On Wednesday, October 26, 2011 at approximately 8:16 PM, a university student reported that her cell phone was snatched from her hand as she was talking on the phone. The suspect approached her from behind as she was walking. The suspect was last seen running west bound on Bloom Street.
The victim could not give a description of the suspect.
If you have any information on this case please contact the Louisville Metro Police Department at 574-7111 or the University Police at 852-6111.
The following are suggestions, which may help prevent you from becoming the victim of a robbery:
- Walk with a group of people, and if walking to a parking lot, do not the leave the area until everyone is safely in their vehicle.
- Remain alert and watchful for suspicious activity.
- Be alert for anything suspicious, especially two or more people just hanging around.
- If you sense something wrong, leave the area immediately.
The following are suggestions of things to do and not do during an actual robbery, and what to do after a robbery occurs:
- Observe what the suspect looks like and develop a mental picture so that an accurate description can be given to the police.
- Don't chase or follow the suspect.
- Protect the crime scene. Leave everything as it is. Don't try to clean up or touch any possible evidence.
- Write down a description of the suspect including sex, race, height, weight, build, eye and hair color, scars or tattoos, jewelry, approximate age, and clothing. If possible, note in which direction the suspect fled. Remember do not chase the suspect.
Report any suspicious activity to the University Police at 852-6111.
Call the Department of Public Safety for escort services at 852-6111.
ULPD C11-23180 LMPD 80-11-086915