Grades K-3 Field Experience Options
Individual Field Trip Options: $7/student
Note: Each field experience ends with star tour, highlighting the constellations visible in the current night sky.
Moon Phases (1.5 hours) – includes:
- Max Goes to the Moon planetarium show
- Visual exploration of what causes night and day (using specialized software programs that allow viewers to feel they are floating in space)
- Demonstration of Moon phases and why the Moon appears to change shapes in a regular pattern using the dome as the physical model
Note: We recommend that the class complete a full month of moon observation prior to coming to the planetarium for this educational experience. Click here for a web-based moon-phase observation chart that can be printed.
Seasons (1.5 hours) – includes:
- Oasis in Space planetarium show
- Discussion of what makes Earth suited to support life (e.g. Goldilock’s principle: not too hot/not too cold)
Visual exploration of Earth’s temperature patterns with seasonal regularities highlighted
Also available for elementary schools is a traditional planetarium show followed by a star talk: 1 hour/$5 per student.
Spend the day at the planetarium: $14/student
Schedule a morning 1.5 hour experience, break for a brown bag lunch in the planetarium lobby or outside courtyard, and come back into the planetarium dome for a second 1.5 hour experience.
Below are some recommended combinations that may be of interest, but you may combine any of our field trip offerings to fit your needs.
Recommended Option #1
Seasons + Moon Phases
Combines explorations of Earth-Sun interactions (Seasons) with Earth-Moon-Sun interactions (Phases of Moon) to collectively encompass a thorough description of the interactions of these three most prominent astronomical objects.
Recommended Option #2
Either Seasons or Moon Phases + Your choice of show & star talk
Combines a pedagogically structured experience that is closely tied to many curricula with a flexible option of engaging shows from which to select.