Grades 9-12 Field Experience Options
Individual Field Trip Options: $7/student
Note: Each field experience ends with star tour, highlighting the constellations visible in the current night sky.
Stars: Birth, Life & Death (1.5 hours):
- Explore the life cycle of stars, and discover how the ultimate fate of a star is determined by its mass
- Discuss how the fate of our beloved planet is tied to our special star, the Sun
- Use of diffraction glasses with interactive demonstrations and discussions on components of light and the "fingerprints" of various light sources
Galaxies and Gravity Galore (1.5 hours):
- BIG planetarium show which provides an understanding of just how big space really is
- Immersion in visual data on a journey that takes participants from our home planet, through our solar system, through other galactic clusters and on out to the remnants of the Big Bang
- Discussion highlights include gravitational influence, structure of the universe, and scale of the universe
Earth’s Climate & Change: Our Privileged Planet (1.5 hours):
- Discover why we are lucky to be in the “suburbs” of the Milky Way galaxy, avoiding the deadly radiation emanating from the galactic core
- Explore factors impacting climate on Earth
- Discover how we know the history of Earth’s climate using paleoclimatology techniques
- Oasis in Space planetarium show illustrating Earth's unique ability to sustain life as we know it
Spend the day at the planetarium: $14/student
Schedule a morning 1.5 hour experience, break for a brown bag lunch in the planetarium lobby or outside courtyard, and come back into the planetarium dome for a second 1.5 hour experience.
Below are some recommended combinations that may be of interest, but you may combine any of our field trip offerings to fit your needs.
Recommended Option #1
Stars: Birth, Life & Death + Galaxies and Gravity Galore
Combines detailed exploration of how stars develop and change with a VERY big picture of the vast collection of those stars throughout the entire universe, going back in time all the way to the first atoms.
Recommended Option #2
Earth’s Climate & Change: Our Privileged Planet + Stars: Birth, Life & Death
Combines detailed look at how our Sun drives climate on Earth, and how our Sun functions and compares to the rest of the family of stars.