Grades 6-8 Field Experience Options
Individual Field Trip Options: $7/student
Note: Each field experience ends with star tour, highlighting the constellations visible in the current night sky.
Moon Phases and Scale of the Universe (1.5 hours):
- Visual exploration of how and why the Moon appears to present regular phases
- Incorporation of planetarium as a physical model
- Immersion into visual data to explore the scale of the solar system as it relates to the Earth and Moon
- Discussion of solar eclipses
Seasons and Weather (1.5 hours):
- Oasis in Space planetarium show illustrating Earth's unique, life-sustaining placement in the solar system
- Visual exploration of Earth’s temperature patterns with seasonal regularities highlighted
- Use of diffraction glasses with interactive demonstrations on how light from the Sun interacts with the Earth, causing the seasons and typical weather patterns we experience
Galaxies and Gravity Galore (1.5 hours):
- BIG planetarium show which providers an understanding of just how big space really is
- Immersion in visual data on a journey that takes participants through our solar system to the remnants of the Big Bang
- Discussion highlights include gravitational influence, structure of the universe, and scale of the universe
Spend the day at the planetarium: $14/student
Schedule a morning 1.5 hour experience, break for a brown bag lunch in the planetarium lobby or outside courtyard, and come back into the planetarium dome for a second 1.5 hour experience.
Below are some recommended combinations that may be of interest, but you may combine any of our field trip offerings to fit your needs.
Recommended Option #1
Seasons and Weather + Moon Phases and Scale of Solar System
Combines explorations of Earth-Sun interactions (Seasons & Weather) with Earth-Moon-Sun interactions (Phases of Moon), including Scale of the Solar System to contextualize both of these key interactions.
Recommended Option #2
Moon Phases and Scale of Solar System + Galaxies and Gravity Galore
Combines mind-stimulating conceptions close to home (Moon and Solar System) out to the farthest reaches of the Universe (Galaxies) to expand both understanding and appreciation of the wonder of the universe.