ABC Quick Check for Bicycles
Courtesy of Kentucky Bicycle and Bikeway Commission
- A is for air
- Inflate tires to rated pressure as listed on the sidewall of the tire.
- Use a pressure gauge to insure proper pressure.
- Check for damage to tire tread and sidewall; replace if damaged.
- Inspect pads for wear; replace is there is less than ¼" of pad left.
- Check pad adjustment; make sure they do not rub tire or dive into spokes.
- Check brake level travel; at least 1" between bar and lever when applied.
- Make sure that your crank bolts are tight; lube the threads only, nothing else.
- Check your chain for wear; 12 links should measure no more than 12 1/8 inches.
- If your chain skips on your cassette, you might need a new one or just an adjustment.
- Hubs need to be tight in the frame; your quick release should engage at 90°.
- Your hub quick release should point back to insure that nothing catches on it.
- Inspect brake quick releases to insure that they have been re-engaged.
- Take a quick ride to check if derailleurs and brakes are working properly.
- Inspect the bike for loose or broken parts; tighten, replace or fix them.
- Pay extra attention to your bike during the first few miles of the ride.