AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF
UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE
ARTICLE I--Name The name of the
organization shall be the University of Louisville Chapter of the American Association of
ARTICLE II--Purpose The purpose of this
organization shall be: to promote the general objectives of the American Association of
University Professors, namely to advance the standards and ideals of the academic
profession; to facilitate cooperation among faculty at the University of Louisville; and
to promote the interests of higher education and research.
ARTICLE III--Membership Membership in the
University of Louisville Chapter requires payment of dues both to the National
Organization and University of Louisville Chapter. State conference dues are optional.
ARTICLE IV--Officers The officer shall be
a President, Vice President, Secretary, and a Treasurer. The terms of office for these
officer shall be two years. The officers shall be elected at the Spring Chapter meeting in
odd numbered years in the manner prescribed in the By-laws.
ARTICLE V--Meetings There shall be at
least two chapter meetings a year (Fall and Spring). Additional chapter meetings may be
called by the Executive Committee,
the President or at the written request of two
members of the Chapter. A quorum shall be defined as the number of members present.
ARTICLE VI--By Laws By-laws of this
Constitution may be adopted or altered at any chapter meeting by a majority vote of the
members present and voting. Written (hardcopy) notice of the proposed By-laws or changes
in existing Bylaws shall be sent to the members at least two weeks prior to the meeting.
ARTICLE VII--Amendments This Constitution
may be amended at any chapter meeting by a two-thirds vote of the member" present and
voting. Written (hardcopy) notice of the proposed amendments shall be sent to the members
at least two weeks prior to the meeting.
I. Duties of the Officers
1. The President shall be the chief spokesperson
for the Chapter.
2. The President shall preside at all Chapter
meetings and meetings of the Executive Committee.
3a. The President shall call meetings of the
b. The President shall call Chapter meetings as
specified in Article V of the Constitution.
4. The President shall appoint members to the
Standing Committees and shall designate the chairs in consultation with the Executive
5. The President, in consultation with the
Executive Committee, shall appoint a member to fill any unexpired term of an officer if a
6. The President shall make an annual report on
the state of the Chapter at the Spring Chapter Meeting.
1. The Vice President shall be responsible for
special projects as directed by the Executive Committee.
2. The Vice President shall fulfill the duties of
the President in the absence of the President.
3. The Vice President shall fill the unexpired
term of the President if a vacancy occurs.
1. The Secretary shall prepare minutes of the
meetings of the Chapter and the Executive Committee.
2. The Secretary shall notify all members and
other appropriate individuals of Chapter meetings and activities.
3. The Secretary shall notify all members of
nominees for office and of proposed By-laws and amendments to the Constitution.
4. The Secretary shall maintain a current
distribution list of the members.
5. The Secretary shall arrange for rooms for all
meetings of the Executive Committee and the Chapter and Chapter sponsored events. -
6. The Secretary shall file chapter documents
with the University Archives and Record Center.
1. The Treasurer shall deposit all Moneys in the
Chapter account and shall keep a record of all moneys received and disbursed.
2. The Treasurer shall make a formal report of
the Chapter finances at the Spring Chapter meeting.
3. The Treasurer shall arrange with the
University Payroll Department for payroll deduction of membership dues and shall maintain
4. The Treasurer shall, from the Chapter
treasury, pay any bills incurred by the Chapter.
A. The President, in consultation with the
Executive Committee,shall appoint a nominating committee of three members before February
first in odd numbered years.
B. The Nominating Committee shall prepare
a slate with at least one nominee for each office to be filled. Nominations may be made
from the floor with prior consent of the person nominated.
C. The election of officers shall be held at the
Spring Chapter meeting in odd numbered years, as specified in Article IV of the
III. The Executive Committee
1. The members of the Executive Committee shall
consist of the elected officers of the Chapter, two members-at-large selected by the
officers and the chairs of the standing committees.
The past president also may serve ex officio.
2. Appointed member. of the Executive Committee
shall serve for one year and may be reappointed.
3. Vacancies shall be filled in the same manner
as vacancies of office.
1. The Executive Committee shall meet at least
once a month during the Fall and Spring Semesters.
2. Meetings of the Executive Committee shall be
open to any member of the campus community.
1. The Executive Committee shall guide the
development of the overall program of the Chapter.
2. The Executive Committee shall establish the
agenda for the Chapter meetings.
3. The Executive Committee shall serve as an
informal Committee on Committees, appointing ad hoc or special committees.
4. The Executive Committee is empowered to act on
behalf of the Chapter in those situations which require a rapid response
IV. Other Standing Committees
1. Each Committee shall consist of at least three
2. Members shall be appointed for two years and
may be reappointed.
3. Vacancies shall be filled by appointment.
B. Chapter Standing Committees
1. Campus Academic Freedom and Faculty Tenure
2. Professional Ethics (Committee B)
3. Representation of Economic and Professional
Interests/CollectiveBargaining (Committee N)
4. Relationships of HigherEducation to Federal
and State Governments (Committee R).
5. College and University Government (Committee
6. The Status of Women in the Academic Profession
V. Publications, Workshop. and other
A. Publications and reports may be issued by the
Chapter subject to approval of the Executive Committee. All publications. shall become a
part of the archival collection of the Chapter.
B. Annual reports of activities, membership
number, financial status, and a roster of any new officers shall be reported to the
chapter members at the Spring Chapter meeting.
C. The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of
new officers shall be submitted to the National Office immediately following their
VI. Parliamentary Procedures
A. Roberts' Rules of Order shall be the
authority for this organization in matters of parliamentary procedure-
VII. Delegates to the Kentucky Conference;
A. For each twenty members and portion thereof,
the Chapter shall elect one official delegate to the Kentucky Conference with one vote
allowed at the annual convention for each delegate present.
B. The President or the President's designate
shall attend the annual National Conference. Funds to defray such travel connected
expenses may be allocated on approval of the Executive Committee.
A. If any part of these bylaws should be declared
inoperable, invalid, or void by a recognized authority such a. the National Conference of
the American Association of University Professors or a court of competent jurisdiction,
the remaining parts shall be in effect and in full force without prejudice.