English as a Second Language Endorsement (P-12)
Anyone seeking admission to University of Louisville Graduate School for purposes of pursuing the Master of Education (Teaching and Learning) with English as a Second Language Endorsement (P-12) must provide the following:
- Completed application for admission
- $65 non-refundable application fee
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited institution
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work
- Valid Kentucky Teaching Certification or statement of eligibility for candidates outside Kentucky
- Two semesters of foreign language studies or a qualifying experience (contact ESL Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for evaluation)
- Minimum 2.75 cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) on 4.0 scale, and a minimum 3.0 GPA for graduate work
- Two graduate recommendation forms *
- Applicants should enter the names and email addresses of two academic or professional references in Section VII of the application for admission. The Office of Graduate Admissions will email the proper form to each reference.
- A personal statement (with the Personal Statement Cover Sheet [PDF]) of no more than 250-500 hundred words *
- A signed Technology and Code of Ethics Form [PDF]
* Not required for Graduate, Non-degree applicants pursuing the endorsement only option.
ESL Endorsement as part of the Rank I program:
Candidates who are interested in pursuing the Rank I program with an ESL endorsement should contact the College of Education and Human Development Education Advising and Student Services office for further information and assistance (email@example.com) or 502-852-5597.
Out of State Students
Out-of-state candidates who are certified teachers should be advised that we cannot guarantee the program will meet licensure, salary, advancement or other requirements in their state. As part of the admission process, we will require a written statement confirming their interest in the program for personal development and they understand the program is designed to meet Kentucky certification requirements only. For more information, please contact our academic advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates who live outside of the United States and intend to complete an online academic program from their home country must review the special requirements for international students before submitting an application.
Applicants who have attended a college or university outside of the United States are also required to submit an evaluation of their transcript through either WES (World Education Services) or ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators). Please note that transcript evaluations can sometimes take several weeks.
The TOEFL examination is required of all foreign students from countries in which English is not the first language. Students who hold a baccalaureate or advanced degree from an accredited institution in the U.S. are exempt from this requirement.
Admission – Important Notes
Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the ESL program.
Applications received at least six weeks prior to the beginning of a term will be given priority consideration.
Candidates interested in applying for a Master of Education in Teacher Leadership should review the program-specific admissions requirements.
Credentials may be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to Graduate Admissions at the address below:
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292