Master of Education in Special Education
Concentration in Moderate and Severe Disabilities
This program is mainly designed for licensed teachers looking to become certified to teach
Special Education in the state of Kentucky.
In addition to completing the application for admission and paying the $60 non-refundable application fee, applicants to the University of Louisville, Graduate School, for the purpose of pursuing the Master of Education in Special Education with a concentration in Moderate and Severe Disabilities must provide:
- Valid teaching certificate or statement of eligibility
- Bachelor’s degree earned from a regionally accredited institution
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work
- 2.75 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale
- Two letters of recommendation (link to recommendation form are provided in the application)
- A personal statement of 250-500 words, along with the Personal Statement Cover Sheet [PDF].
- GRE – verbal score of 147 and quantitative score of 142
- Signed form - Professional Code of Ethics and Technology Agreement [PDF]
- Prerequisite – EDSP 540 Introduction to Exceptional Children (or its equivalent)
- TOEFL is required of all foreign students from countries in which English is not the native language. Students holding a baccalaureate or advanced degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. are exempt from this requirement
The application deadlines are July 1 (fall), December 1 (spring), and April 1 (summer).
Note: Due to the strict requirements of a Kentucky teaching license, field experience and local in-person practicum, it is unlikely that teachers who live outside of Kentucky or outside of the United States will qualify to complete this licensure program. However, potential exceptions are handled on a case-by-case basis, and those who intend to complete this online program at UofL must contact our academic advisor prior to applying.
For more information on the admission and application process, please contact our Online Learning Enrollment Counselor at 800.871.8635 or by email, email@example.com.