Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration Online Program

The set of questions and answers outlined below can help you learn more about our program, delivery method, application and admission process, financial aid options and how to succeed as an online student at UofL.

  • I have some credit hours from another program/university. Can the credit be transferred?

    Once you are admitted to the program, you may request to transfer up to 6 credit hours if your UofL adviser approves the request. Transfer requests are then submitted to the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies.

    ∧ Back to top

  • Are GRE scores required for admission?

    Not if your cumulative undergraduate GPA is a 3.0 or higher; or if your cumulative graduate GPA is a 3.5 or higher. If you do not meet this criteria, then, yes GRE scores are required. GMAT and MAT scores can be converted to GRE equivalencies.

    For GRE scores prior to August 1, 2011, a minimum combined (verbal and quantitative) score of an 800 is required for unconditional admission. For GRE scores taken August 1, 2011 and after, a score at the 36th percentile or higher in Verbal Reasoning and the 22nd percentile or higher in Quantitative Reasoning is required.

    ∧ Back to top

  • Can I be admitted provisionally, until I take the GRE?

    In typical cases if your GPA is below the threshold mentioned above, no, however, the committee may look at each situation on a case by case basis.

    ∧ Back to top

  • I applied and was admitted to another program in the College of Education and Human Development but have changed my mind and want to apply for the MA in Higher Education. Do I have to complete a new application packet?


    ∧ Back to top

  • Can I complete the degree completely online?

    Yes, you can but the sequencing of on-line courses may result in your taking longer to complete the degree.

    ∧ Back to top

  • I have a Bachelor's degree in another content area and want to teach that area in a university or college. Will this degree give me the credential to do so?

    No. This degree prepares people who want to work in university administration and does not satisfy any P-12 or postsecondary teaching certification requirement.

    ∧ Back to top

  • Tell me about the internship requirement.

    The internship provides you with the opportunity to work in a different setting related to higher education. You will complete, under the supervision of the course instructor and a site supervisor, a significant project or projects that allow you to apply what you learned from your program of study. The internship activities cannot include projects within your current scope of responsibilities. It is taken within the last 9 hours of the program and requires a minimum of 105 contact hours. You should contact your adviser one semester before you plan to take the internship course to discuss what you are considering.

    For answers to any other questions you might have, please submit an Information Request Form.

    ∧ Back to top

Request More Info

^ Top of Page