Bachelor of Arts in Communication
The Bachelor of Arts in Communication is based upon research and coursework that emphasize the rhetorical, organizational, interpersonal, and mediated contexts and perspectives which define the field of communication. These are advanced through the faculty's commitment to the scholarships of discovery, teaching, application, and integration.
This program is articulated through an 18-hour core and 18 hours of communication electives. These courses will familiarize students with a range of theories, methods of inquiry, philosophies, and practices of the communication discipline, develop skills for analyzing, interpreting, and critiquing communication problems and questions, and will promote the development of communication competence, especially an understanding of how taken-for-granted communication patterns create and sustain human relations.
The Bachelor of Arts in Communication different from the Bachelor of Science in Communication in that the bachelor of arts requires more foreign language and liberal arts credits and fewer credits in communication.
- 100% online
- Expert faculty who are highly-trained in online teaching
- Internship opportunities available
- Professional student advising available to assist in degree planning
Graduates of the communication program can look forward to careers in:
- Electronic Media: TV or radio - on-air talent, editing, sales, programming or production
- Print Media: Magazine/newspaper/publisher - writing, editing, publishing, technical writing
- Public Relations: Research, writing/editing, special events, fund raising, administration
- Communication Training and Development: Business training programs, human resources
Employers of communication majors include: TV and cable companies; radio stations; online/print publishers; newspapers; magazines; professional organizations; advertising agencies; federal, state, and local governments; businesses and trade associations; colleges, universities and schools; non-profit and special interest groups; and public relations and advertising firms.