OCMu - Social Media 101 2/16/12
We will go over all of the major social networks (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr) and quickly discuss how to set up an account, what to do and how to manage them. New social networks and UofL's Social policy.
Feb 16, 2012
from 10:00 am to 11:30 am
|Where||Ekstrom Library W-102|
|Contact Name||Jeff Rushton|
|Add event to calendar||
In addition, we will touch on trends in social networking, like Foursquare, Pinterest, Google Plus and others and how you should (or should not) be using them.
A short review of the UofL Social Networking policy.
The training is one hour but may go longer due to the volume of information and questions. No registration or RSVP required.
Please use the above accounts to log into Pinterest and Flickr. Although, if you are setting up a university-only account, not associated with your personal account, you should go through the Pinterest and Flickr setup processes.
Personal vs. Corporate accounts
For an organization, you are always better setting up the account(s) under an organization or dept. pseudonym or profile you already have. This allows you to leave or transfer without having to maintain or transition the profile.
Corporate vs. personal profiles
Note: you can make up bogus "personal" profiles for your department to avoid setting up real people accounts on any of these networks. Be sure to keep and share your user/pass file with other admins though.
- Facebook - requires a personal account to setup and manage a page. You can (and should) assign more admins to the page so you have an exit strategy.
- Twitter - you can use company names/info to setup the account, in place of human names.
- Google+/YouTube - requires a personal account to setup and manage a page. You can (and should) assign more admins to the page so you have an exit strategy.
- Flickr - you can use company names/info to setup the account, in place of human names. I don't anticipate this to last very long, it is a lot of valuable information that Yahoo!/Flickr is missing out on.
- Pinterest - you can use company names/info to setup the account, in place of human names.
Please contact me if you would like Pinterest and Flickr setup instructions as well, including basic (conservative) security settings.