UofL Health Sciences Center faculty recognized for health care excellence
Seven faculty members or programs at the University of Louisville Health Sciences Center are among the finalists for the 2012 Medical News MediStar Awards.
Winners will be announced at the sixth annual MediStar Awards presentation on Tuesday, May 22 at the Hyatt Regency Louisville.
The list of UofL MediStar Award finalists includes:
ARGI Financial Physician of the Year Award
Presented to a physician who has demonstrated outstanding leadership on a local, state or national level to improve accessibility, affordability and quality of health care in our region.
- Kerri Remmel, M.D., Ph.D., Chief of Vascular Neurology, Department of Neurology; Associate Dean of Clinical Development and Regionalization, School of Medicine; Director, University of Louisville Hospital Stroke Center
The Crowe Horwath Innovation Award
Presented to an individual or organization that has positively impacted health care delivery costs through the development, design or implementation of new technology.
- Roberto Bolli, M.D., Executive Vice Chair, Department of Medicine; Chief, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine; Director, Institute of Molecular Cardiology; Jewish Hospital Distinguished Chair in Cardiology; Distinguished University Scholar
The AHIP Consumer First Award
Presented to an individual or organization that has demonstrated the most “consumer friendly” program or facility.
- James Graham Brown Cancer Center Mobile Mammography Unit - Under the leadership of Donald Miller, M.D., Ph.D., Director, James Graham Brown Cancer Center, the mammography unit has been removing access barriers for women for more than 20 years. In 2011 the James Graham Brown Cancer Center’s mobile mammography unit performed 4,629 screening mammograms.
The A.O. Sullivan Award for Excellence in Education
Presented to an individual or organization that has developed and implemented programs which increase the level of knowledge, education, and career opportunity in health care.
- UofL Pediatrics – Forensic Medicine - Under the direction of Melissa Currie, M.D., Division Chief, UofL Pediatrics – Forensic Medicine, this is Kentucky’s only child physical abuse and neglect assessment program.
- ULH Nurse Residency Program – The goal of this program is to provide a smooth transition from the ending of a BSN educational experience to clinical competence within the first year of practice. Diane Chlebowy, Ph.D., RN, Director of the BSN Program, UofL School of Nursing, helped establish and implement the program.
Dignity of Humanity Award
Presented to an individual or organization that through its mission and its actions has improved availability and/or access to health care services for our region’s underserved or vulnerable populations.
- University of Louisville School of Dentistry - Since 2008, faculty, students and staff have provided free dental care to the underserved regions of Kentucky and neighboring states through Remote Area Medical. (RAM).
The Facility Design Award
Presented to an individual or organization that has designed, built or implemented the most innovative facility within the region.
- University of Louisville School of Dentistry - The $45 million project building renewal project completed in 2011, added more than 20,000 sq. feet and renovated another 211,000 sq. feet.
Additionally, Mike Bukosky, CEO of University of Louisville Physicians, the faculty practice plan, has been named a finalist in the Hall Render Leadership in Healthcare Award category.
Visit the web site at www.medistarawards.com for additional information about the awards.